• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Libertad 5-coin proof sets...

Lindeman

Just something that's been puzzling me for months (while I have been contemplating buying a set) : if Libertad gold proofs are so highly prized (not a single one available on Apmex or elsewhere as individual 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10 or 1/20th ounce coins today), then how come there are a massive pile of 5-coin 2015 gold proof sets still available on APMEX?! There have been 42 sets for months now - which makes me wonder whether Banco Mexico issued more than they said...or whether people just love the individual coins but ignore the boxed sets? At around $3000 that's not much premium for a beautiful set of 1.9 oz gold.  

Does tempt me to break the bank and buy several sets to split and flip, as each individual coin probably would get a great price on the secondary market - since there virtually are never any individual coins available, at least on eBay. 

I am sure @Numistackerand other Libertad lovers have thought of this ! But would like to know your views! Maybe APMEX will knock them down to a bargain price to make way for the 2017 sets (Dream on...).  

Lindeman 

I think the speculation is about a design change in 2017 - so I expect this year's will be the usual design.  

I wish we could buy direct - but sadly that's not an option.  Very tightly controlled distribution network to select US and EU brokers....then the secondary market.  

They are always the last gold proof out - part of the mystique I guess! 

1 hour ago, Lindeman said:

Just something that's been puzzling me for months (while I have been contemplating buying a set) : if Libertad gold proofs are so highly prized (not a single one available on Apmex or elsewhere as individual 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10 or 1/20th ounce coins today), then how come there are a massive pile of 5-coin 2015 gold proof sets still available on APMEX?! There have been 42 sets for months now - which makes me wonder whether Banco Mexico issued more than they said...or whether people just love the individual coins but ignore the boxed sets? At around $3000 that's not much premium for a beautiful set of 1.9 oz gold.  

Does tempt me to break the bank and buy several sets to split and flip, as each individual coin probably would get a great price on the secondary market - since there virtually are never any individual coins available, at least on eBay. 

I am sure @Numistackerand other Libertad lovers have thought of this ! But would like to know your views! Maybe APMEX will knock them down to a bargain price to make way for the 2017 sets (Dream on...).  

Lindeman 

500 gold sets actually takes a fair amount of selling as though the number is fairly low its still a hefty investment.  The sets will be sold or broken up and graded. I think it would not be difficult to buy and flip at the Apmex price which is good value in $ terms though still the £$ exchange rate is so bad as to make it tough to buy gold at the moment. Those who buy those Apmex sets will have a beautiful set that has some profit potential. I just bought another PCGS 1/4" Proof to add to my 6 so now I have 7/350 and I am happy with that ))...  If i was not trying to close on a buy to let in December I would buy another of the Apmex sets.

1 hour ago, PureGold said:

The 2016 set should be out soon

I've heard a rumour it's a new design and have been waiting for news 

can you order direct from bank of Mexico??

I think that 2017 may very well have a new design as although they are beautiful they suffer from having the same design for too long.

Very tempting @Numistacker- as I buy in $.  Now I just have to think about buying two sets - one to keep, other to split! That is a serious investment though - and I would be miserable if gold dropped below £1000! Will mull it over. Do you think the 2016 sets will be priced above the remaining 2015 sets? I don't recall what happened last year. 

Congrats on the 7th - you now have 2% of the global pool?. I have two, so that's only 0.5%...??

• 1 month later...

I might have gone for this but I just made my frivolous nothing to do with any series I am collecting buy yesterday. New technology, 999 mintage, legal tender, Guy Fawkes (V for Vendetta style with The Queen on obverse!) and Fawkes' actual signature and a black proof. Could be a winner (might not be) and is sold and bottom price protected through three dealers. Did a quick check on all three dealer sites and only about 70-80left on pre order.

http://www.powercoin.it/en/cit-coin-invest-trust/2257-guy-fawkes-mask-anonymous-v-for-vendetta-1-oz-black-proof-silver-coin-5-cook-islands-2016.html

On 19/10/2016 at 22:21, PureGold said:

Pre sale for 2016 Gold Proof Libertad 1/4 1/10 & 1/20

http://www.choicebullion.com/2016-1-4oz-gold-proof-mexico-libertad-coin

Thanks for the tip @PureGold! Didn't get there in time to get any of the 1/4 ounce gold proofs (not sure if they get more stock in, or that's their allocation done!?).  But I did snag a few 1/10 and 1/20ths as a consolation prize (expensive one as well...but calculating the price / ounce for Lib proofs is a foolish thing to do)??

hopefully some 1/4s will show up at Apmex later on.  

Lindeman 

Got 1 1/20th but the mintage of 1500 is extremely high according to one German site. It seems 1/10th is 500 but all others are 1500!!! If this is true at some stage there will be a glut. At the present $£ exchange rate caution on gold libertad 2016 proofs is advised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm - thanks Numi. That is frustrating - but of course, the numbers of course remain to be confirmed. I took 3 of each, but missed on the 1/4. I know you have used Choice before, - do you reckon they will get more in, or is that their lot? I bought in $ so the pain is bearable. ?

Clearly there will be 500 standard sets and choice broke a few of these .. no 1oz? Maybe they graded those? How do they get 1500? Maybe some other mini set with no 1/10th? In 2011 they had 1500 and prices were subdued for years

Apmex have some forms of bu and proof gold libertads in stock for those still bewitched by the lady with wings :) Add $50 for shipping though.

http://www.apmex.com/category/90411/2016-gold-libertads?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=2016goldlibertads

and this is German dealer who reckons that the proof mintage is as Numistacker explained in a post earlier, so he is either "in the know" or a complete chancer. Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice. Good luck all.

http://www.muenzdachs.de/epages/63784639.sf/secf9490e0109/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63784639/Categories/Mexiko/Libertad

This may also help a little :) @Numistacker @Lindeman

@PureGold

http://www.banxico.org.mx/SieInternet/consultarDirectorioInternetAction.do?sector=11&accion=consultarCuadro&idCuadro=CM12&locale=en

and do click on the chart icon for each one as it is more enlightening ;)

When do they stop officially minting coins for the year and declare ? Does anyone know ? End of December ? Later ?

On 2016年10月21日 at 18:35, Lindeman said:

Mmmm - thanks Numi. That is frustrating - but of course, the numbers of course remain to be confirmed. I took 3 of each, but missed on the 1/4. I know you have used Choice before, - do you reckon they will get more in, or is that their lot? I bought in $ so the pain is bearable. ?

@Lindeman

Apmex had 1/4 oz proofs last time I looked but no bu so it seems a bunch of folks are living in last year world.....I went back on what I said and picked up one each of the 1/20 th 1/10 th 1/4 and 1/2 oz proofs on pre order.

Last year, they late minted the bu which annoyed a lot of early bu buyers but not the proofs. Even if there are 1500 of each, that is still low. The trick is to guess the right bu or proof with the lowest mintage of the year but it just that...a guess....therein lies the fun. Worst case scenario, you have a beautiful bunch of desirable low mintage proofs in gold and maybe a pf70 in amongst them if you are lucky....More enquiring minds wish to know if they are doing a bankers silver reverse proof 3 coin set this year too. :ph34r: I have the anniversary 3 coin bankers set from last year and it would suit me just fine if it stays just that....although no matter what, it will always be a first and an anniversary set.

3 hours ago, Oldun said:

@Lindeman

Apmex had 1/4 oz proofs last time I looked but no bu so it seems a bunch of folks are living in last year world.....I went back on what I said and picked up one each of the 1/20 th 1/10 th 1/4 and 1/2 oz proofs on pre order.

Last year, they late minted the bu which annoyed a lot of early bu buyers but not the proofs. Even if there are 1500 of each, that is still low. The trick is to guess the right bu or proof with the lowest mintage of the year but it just that...a guess....therein lies the fun. Worst case scenario, you have a beautiful bunch of desirable low mintage proofs in gold and maybe a pf70 in amongst them if you are lucky....More enquiring minds wish to know if they are doing a bankers silver reverse proof 3 coin set this year too. :ph34r: I have the anniversary 3 coin bankers set from last year and it would suit me just fine if it stays just that....although no matter what, it will always be a first and an anniversary set.

Thanks @Oldun, as I had stopped watching Apmex for the quarters. Do I really need a 2016 1/4 proof when the mintage is 3x more than last years, and the price in $ is about the same (now $414, compared to $411 back in the spring for the 2015)?? Of course I do!!!!?? 

Apmex have 34 left - but they will not stick around; I reckon they will sell out by the weekend. Who knows why the mintage is higher - but maybe if this is the last hurrah for this winged angel design we will look clever! If it's the same design in 2017 as in 2016 ...then we have another 2011 on our hands. But let's not complain. I will be getting one at least. 

Mexicancoinbroker has them for $434 as you point out  @Oldunbut I have had a bit of an issue with them in the past. 

Lindeman 

• 2 weeks later...

Well what do I know? Obviously not much ...as APMEX have bred their Libertad 1/4 proof stock as it's now up to 37!! 

Was it Einstein that said predictions are always difficult, especially about the future!? ?☹️

• 2 months later...

The rollercoaster continues - just when I was lamenting the fact that I had not pulled the trigger on a 2015 or 2016 set of gold proofs, following their rapid sell out last week on APMEX, now there are 39 5-coin boxed sets of 2016 proofs available again!  

OK the price is higher than a few weeks ago - but just shows that the stocks are never really zero.  Where do they get 39 new sets from?! Or maybe they artificially show "none  available"  just to whet the appetite of buyers?! 

The rollercoaster continues - just when I was lamenting the fact that I had not pulled the trigger on a 2015 or 2016 set of gold proofs, following their rapid sell out last week on APMEX, now there are 39 5-coin boxed sets of 2016 proofs available again!  

OK the price is higher than a few weeks ago - but just shows that the stocks are never really zero.  Where do they get 39 new sets from?! Or maybe they artificially show "none  available"  just to whet the appetite of buyers?! 

They are 2016 sets not 2015 and they don't have any 2015 sets any more from nowhere.

I got pretty much the last one

I do want a 2016 as well but it's gonna have to wait a little.

I hear you on the 2015s Numi - got to hand it to you for doubling down on them! But what was interesting was that they were sold out of 2016 sets last week as well, and now these 39 have appeared.  They may well persist for months, who knows. 

The 2016 libs will be around for a while. Maybe at some stage later on in the year I will get the chance to pick one up. Or maybe I have too many right now )) I have not decided. So far my libs have been a good investment. My 2014 set has seen a 250%+ gain so far.

Archived