• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - See a deal, post here :)

morezone
Message added by ChrisSilver

Lots of shield sovs going up on Atkinsons.  Will set you back £270-£280 though

There's now a 1884 Sydney topping at £290

Now a 1842 at £350

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did some one buy the 1980 Hong Kong Monkey from Atkinsons?

Was going to post here but some one nabbed it.  +5.3% delivered so was quite a good price.

On 3/13/2017 at 14:02, morezone said:

Lots of shield sovs going up on Atkinsons.  Will set you back £270-£280 though

There's now a 1884 Sydney topping at £290

Now a 1842 at £350

I personally don't think £350 is a good deal, at that I would be looking at buying an uncleaned coin in vf condition. But what do i know.    

11 minutes ago, Pipers said:

I personally don't think £350 is a good deal, at that I would be looking at buying an uncleaned coin in vf condition. But what do i know.    

That price is not intended as a "deal".  My original post had pricing up at £270-£280 but then they kept adding coins and some got expensive and voided by original price range.  I thought £290 was the most expensive until they started adding 1840s at £350.  What surprised me was the fact that those coins sold first.  I think there were 3 but may have been 4 all from the the 1840s.  I did a quick check and 5 years ago Chards was asking £450 or so.  No idea how it would compare to today's prices.  I know nothing about sovereigns but one of them was very worn but still sold quickly.  Most of the cheaper shield didn't sell until later in the afternoon/early evening.

8 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

I guess that person who have bought  is from Hong Kong and he doesn't lived too far from Atkinson , I have a crystal ball haha 

So tempted myself but would mean another coin which doesn't fit into my collection.  I was doing some write up about it but ended up being a waste of time.

I wasn't getting at you MZ,  I am just surprised that bullion coins can sell for that much above spot.  Atkinsons are bullion dealers and not coin dealers it would surprise me if the coins are in a condition that the buyer expects for the money paid(£350).  Maybe a Sovereign person could shed some light onto the issue on bullion prices on older sovereigns say pre 1860   

1 hour ago, shortstack68 said:

Pre 1860 are more sought after due to the varieties, just because atkinsons are bullion dealers, he won't turn the chance down if one came into the shop as trade, not all coins will be bullion. He may have trade a few things out on numismatic gold (sovs)

yeah makes sense, though I have to admit if i was in for decent coins I would go to a coin dealer and pay the premium.  

The 1842 was in awful condition, not a deal for such a common coin. If it had been an "open 2" than yes.

Atkinsons tend not to know what they're doing with numismatic coins but I'm not surprised that the 42 sold quickly as the older ones are going well at the moment. With the 1853 they had put up, they actually showed pictures of a half sovereign. When questioned about this, they conceded it wasn't a photo of the actual coin because they had 2 for sale.

4 hours ago, Pipers said:

I am just surprised that bullion coins can sell for that much above spot

spot price is almost irrelevant (within reason) with regards to older, collectable sovereigns.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Murph said:

Jubilee

yes, 1892. Obviously they can't be bothered to split the shield halves into 2 separate categories, as suggested and almost promised.

Probably just happy with the way it is, someone will always buy them on spec at 15%

Edit: happened as I was writing.:D

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 gold 2017 sovereigns on e bay good price at mo got 1 hour left £410 free post 100% positive feedback plus £15 off offer for pay pall good deal Gonna see if i can get them he had 2 lots on there 

29 minutes ago, Goldmick said:

2 gold 2017 sovereigns on e bay good price at mo got 1 hour left £410 free post 100% positive feedback plus £15 off offer for pay pall good deal Gonna see if i can get them he had 2 lots on there 

Is it one full + half sovereign for 410

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Archived