• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Star Wars coins

Deputydog

Hi, I hope all is well with everybody.

EMK have the new star wars coins in pre order, R2 D2 and the force awakens coloured coins (6 of them).

I missed out on the last pre order and people seem to be collecting the sets.

Do people think these are a good investment? The 1oz gold is expensive.

Thanks

Deputydog

Investing in them is a gamble.  I bought them because I liked and wanted them but only the Classic set in 1oz silver and 1/4 gold.  The 1oz gold is a little pricey for me.  I wouldn't bother with the coloured coins though.  They're still available from the Mint and the last time they did coloured Star Wars coins, they were a complete flop.

The problem with these type of coins is that every year they will come out with a new series of them.  After a while interest will fade because people will get bored of them.  By no means let me influence your decision to buy or not, as you should collect whatever it is that you like.  As long as it is a pm piece, you will at least always have the pm value of each piece.

Look at all the superman coins the Canadian mint has released. They all are costly. Then they came out with the 1 ounce silver superman shield bullion coin. Which by the way is a really nice coin.  Where does it end?

In the end something is only worth what you can get for it.

I collect these. Just the 1/4 gold. Mainly as I am a huge fan of the classic films as its what I grew up with in the 80s. I wouldn't personally go for the 1 oz gold or coloured coins, but each to their own. 

Unfortunately the exchange rate has made everything expensive, but the 1/4 gold are beautiful coins, low mintage, and at a time where Star Wars is exploding again. It's also great to see real effort in the designs, like R2 with Sandcrawler background.

My advice would be pick up the 1/4 Darth Vader quickly if you want to do this set. It's already circa €1k at EMK, which might be the price everywhere at the end of the year. Apmex still have it just $69 above issue if pay by wire.

My gut feel is the 1/4 gold will do very well in the end, but if it doesn't, I can't say I'll lose much sleep as I love the coins and the original trilogy.

• 1 month later...

Archived