• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Langbord family loses appeal to regain ownership of 1933 double eagles

PureGold

I think the govt position does seem fairly watertight. If legally none were allowed in circulation, then difficult position to argue against. 

Say, in the extremely unlikely event you came across some of these, it's difficult really to do anything. It's not like you can move them easily! lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle

i just looked at the wiki page and it's not easy to sell them as the secret service agents are chasing them however a 2002 Sotheby's auction sold one for $7.5 million!? The auction lasted 9 minutes. 

Fascinating :)

10 minutes ago, richo said:

What was the story about how the Govt found out? Did the family volunteer the info?

(It's in the article) The family send them back to the mint through an attorney for authorisation, Mint never returned them. Family is making appeal. 

9 minutes ago, PureGold said:

They surrendered 10 coins I wonder if they still have some that they didn't tell the us mint about.. I hope they do!

Imagine how closely that's been watched!! $7.5m a pop. That's quite a premium..

24 minutes ago, ApisMellifera said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle

i just looked at the wiki page and it's not easy to sell them as the secret service agents are chasing them however a 2002 Sotheby's auction sold one for $7.5 million!? The auction lasted 9 minutes. 

Fascinating :)

(It's in the article) The family send them back to the mint through an attorney for authorisation, Mint never returned them. Family is making appeal. 

pretty stupid really, it has always been known that any of these in the public domain were recalled and it was deemed illegal to possess them

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

It seems the safety deposit box original owner was a dodgy character and had been arrested carrying gold illegally in 1934.  He was also known as a source for 33 double eagles and was friendly with the mint's cashier who had a lifestyle that wasn't in line with his wage.  The family probably made more than enough money from 33 double eagles previously if the above is accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

When will folk learn that the government are the biggest legislators of theft and extortion? You'd have to be some sort of soft-brained muppet to think they aren't trying to get their greedy mitts on anything of real (or even imagined) value that everybody has.

Sad this i thought that the government ran out of time to prosecute the case and they got them back.Lesson is don't tell government anything.I wonder if they had sneaked them out of the country they'd have fared any better.Although i dare say men in suits would be waiting on their return.Let this be a lesson to everyone in greece at the moment although if it ends up being anything like the assygniat fiasco in france you may get 20 years or the guillotine just for hiding a little silver!

Archived