• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shieldback desirable dates?

TheGoldSovereign

I've just picked up a few and wondering what dates are rare/desirable for 60s,70s,80s?

I'll take some more photos of what i bought when my new macro lens turns up, but what do they look like from this one shot in terms of grade?

small-DSC00867.JPG

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

They all look very good.  It's difficult to say for each coin, but they look at least EF+.  Did you pay a large premium?

I'd suggest getting a UK Coin book - Rotographic Publications do a good price guide, which is widely accepted.  There are so many variations that a book is really essential, a lot of the time.

41 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

They all look very good.  It's difficult to say for each coin, but they look at least EF+.  Did you pay a large premium?

I'd suggest getting a UK Coin book - Rotographic Publications do a good price guide, which is widely accepted.  There are so many variations that a book is really essential, a lot of the time.

Didn't pay much of a premium no, well maybe the current gold price helps with pushing that up but i think they were fair.

18 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

credit goes to the original poster of this link.

http://www.rotographic.com/CCGB2009FREE.pdf

the figures are dated but the premiums over similar coins when

checking for rarity should still be valid.

HH

nice link thanks, i check http://www.cruzis-coins.com/sovs/Sovmintage.html also but nice to see some more detail on variations etc, i know its not just about mintages :)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

2 hours ago, sg86 said:

@sovereignsteve if you could buy any dates 51-86 what would you opt for? Say pick 5

LOL nice way to get me to comment on this thread;)

I hadn't as the information is easily obtained by buying a book or looking on t'internet.:)

Impossible question though as there are many rare date variations I don't have that I would buy if I had the chance at a reasonable price.

The obvious rarities though are: 1859 Ansell, 1863 "827", 1874L, 1886M, 1887M and perhaps 1880M

One to watch out for is the 1883M which Marsh has as R2 and Spink can't make up their mind about. You see it very rarely for sale but luckily I have one in EF condition:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

LOL nice way to get me to comment on this thread;)

I hadn't as the information is easily obtained by buying a book or looking on t'internet.:)

Impossible question though as there are many rare date variations I don't have that I would buy if I had the chance at a reasonable price.

The obvious rarities though are: 1859 Ansell, 1863 "827", 1874L, 1886M, 1887M and perhaps 1880M

One to watch out for is the 1883M which Marsh has as R2 and Spink can't make up their mind about. You see it very rarely for sale but luckily I have one in EF condition:)

Yea sorry maybe i was being lazy but i read that book linked here and some other sources but didn't really gauge rarity from them to be honest, needs someone with experience hence the highlight :)

Why are the M rarer, mintages are higher than S?

The Gold Sovereign

Thanks @HawkHybrid, i guess someone knows the split mintages then. I had a look for a marsh book, just trying to find a deal on it :)

I'm paying around 260 each, seems like a fair price? I know its all dependant on condition, i'll put up some pics next week when i receive them and my new lens to see if it was a good deal or not!

The Gold Sovereign

1 hour ago, Bosse68 said:

Looks good or better than the ones i am getting. Is that posted?

The Gold Sovereign

5 minutes ago, Bosse68 said:

No, it is ~6£ shipping within Sweden on top of the 265£

So total will be 271£ or 3120:-Sek

seems to be around the price they are selling for over here, about 275-85 seems average on ebay at the moment, depends on the time of day when auctions finish

The Gold Sovereign

On 29/07/2016 at 13:07, Clens92 said:

Looking at the EF prices on various sources i don't think my coins are EF, maybe its just my great amateur photography? :D 

The Gold Sovereign

Some really awful ones all sold for £260+ today on Ebay this morning, example one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1847-Queen-Victoria-full-sovereign-/162148825250?hash=item25c0d2b8a2:g:o5oAAOSwENxXlzqJ

I suppose it's only a little more than a normal sovereign atm though so

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Well that makes me feel good, i have another 10 on the way, bit of a large outlay but hey ho. Fingers crossed.

The Gold Sovereign

It's not often you see any going for below £260 on ebay lately.  Lots of mediocre ones around £280+ with postage and even above £300. 

It's been about a month since I last got one for much below £260 with postage.  US gold also seems overpriced on ebay.

On 31 July 2016 at 15:42, sg86 said:

Thanks @HawkHybrid, i guess someone knows the split mintages then. I had a look for a marsh book, just trying to find a deal on it :)

I'm paying around 260 each, seems like a fair price? I know its all dependant on condition, i'll put up some pics next week when i receive them and my new lens to see if it was a good deal or not!

Given that dealers are selling them at just over 3k for 10 with some ef or just under £2.8k for 10 vf I think you've got a very good deal.  If you end up with doubles I'm sure some of us might take them off your hands letting you buy even more. :)

On 31 July 2016 at 15:42, sg86 said:

as far as I'm aware, noboy knows the split mintages. Marsh doesn't specify them.

£260 is very good at the moment unless they are real dogs.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived