• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your views on 1/10 gold coins?

rebnah

However, for the same money as a modern quarter sovereign, you can easily buy a Victorian shield half sovereign. In my opinion a much much better buy, and will keep it's value much better than the modern stuff.  

You, ApisMellifera and Pipers like this  Unlike this

Bang on and as straightforward as HT says.................It has to be my medication but I cant get my head round some of the other views on this one.............all about opinions I know but am totally with HT on this........Good Luck.............

• 2 weeks later...

I like 1/10 oz coins. I'd rather have ten smaller coins than one larger 1 oz coin.  Yes the premium is inevitably higher but they keep that generally, and there seems to be extra liquidity and if you need to just move a small amount into cash rather than trying to shift a grand at a time. Plus not everybody has a few grand to splurge on ounces of gold at a time. Personally I'm terrible at frittering away cash rather than saving, so sometimes its better for me just to spend a spare £100 or so on a 1/10 or if I try and save it toward a larger coin I'll end up dipping into it for random crap and get nowhere. I actually like 1/10 Britannia's and Britannia's in general as they are more aesthetically pleasing to me, more so than Sovereigns as I am not keen on the rosy copper coloured gold. Also I like the look of 'more' coins rather than just one big one.

Edited by bongobill

14 minutes ago, bongobill said:

I like 1/10 oz coins. I'd rather have ten smaller coins than one larger 1 oz coin.  Yes the premium is inevitably higher but there seems to be extra liquidity and if you need to just move a small amount into cash rather than trying to shift a grand at a time. Plus not everybody has a few grand to splurge on ounces of gold at a time. Personally I'm terrible at frittering away cash rather than saving, so sometimes its better for me just to spend a spare £100 or so on a 1/10 or if I try and save it toward a larger coin I'll end up dipping into it for random crap and get nowhere. I actually like 1/10 Britannia's and Britannia's in general as they are more aesthetically pleasing to me, more so than Sovereigns as I am not keen on the rosy copper coloured gold. Also I like the look of 'more' coins rather than just one big one.

You are so right I am thinking of making a large silver order from a online place and everytime just add a 1/10 gold one in. And also if I ever want to get some little bit of cash from gold in years to come I would either have to sell a whole oz coin but with 1/10 yiu can sell smaller parts. And I also like the feeling of having 10 coins! What about 1/25 Philharmonic they seem well priced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

1/10 gold.  Look nice in my opinion.  Great for selling to a person, bad for selling to a dealer.

Plenty of people don't seem to mind adding a small amount of gold such as a 1/10 ounce to their stack.

Dealers give you same price as a lower premium coin such as a 1 ounce coin.  Dealers don't seem to pay premiums.

The smallest coin minted (that I know of) in my collection is the 1 gram panda, which is incredibly small and difficult to see the design.

I have 1/10th oz gold proof Britannia's as part of the 3 coin set and at the time, I thought, why bother, but now I've come to accept them and like them (they grow on you), but I personally wouldn't want anything smaller (with exception to the 1 x 1g panda), but I may have to buy smaller if gold becomes too expensive.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

On 09/03/2022 at 18:59, GoldenGriffin said:

The smallest coin minted (that I know of) in my collection is the 1 gram panda, which is incredibly small and difficult to see the design.

I have 1/10th oz gold proof Britannia's as part of the 3 coin set and at the time, I thought, why bother, but now I've come to accept them and like them (they grow on you), but I personally wouldn't want anything smaller (with exception to the 1 x 1g panda), but I may have to buy smaller if gold becomes too expensive.

I saw the Krugerrand did a special proof set recently which had amongst others a 1/50 Troy oz gold coin which is close to half a gram I believe? Not sure you could see it without a magnifier however. 
I don’t mind the 1/10. Much has been said in the earlier posts, they hold their premium, very liquid and there is a lot of variety. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly