• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fakes on eBay

jkay

So this guy just ripped so many people off by selling fake silver and gold on eBay http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=coins_plus_more&ftab=AllFeedback, i had bid on one of his gold bars but thankfully never won it. Checking his completed listings he seems to have ripped people off for thousands of pounds. And surprise surprise he changed his feedback to private.

So my question is, is it safe to buy precious metals from eBay or should we stay away from eBay? If anyone has any tips on how to avoid getting ripped off with fakes please let me know.

Know your stuff, only buy from sellers who provide clear photos of the actual coin (except bog standard silver bullion), run away from negative feedback, use your common sense, there is always another seller!

At the end of the day, there is ebay buyer protection.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Is ebay safe to purchase Precious Metals from? Well there are more fakes on ebay than from any PM dealer. So to be safe, buy from a reputable dealer.

If you have to buy from eBay: note the following.

If the price is too good to be true, it's probably a fake.

Does the seller's description of the item give you confidence that they know what they're selling.

Ask the seller questions , (get a feel of what the seller is like from their answers), about the coin to remove all doubt. Is it real? Genuine/original packaging? In perfect condition as supplied by the mint?...etc. The answers will help if you have to claim through ebay's buyer protection.

As Steve said, if the picture is poor, walk away, or ask for better pictures to be sent. If no clear pictures arrive, probably a fake.

Know how to check the coin you've bought before leaving any feedback. Weigh the coin, measure it, both thickness and diameter. Learn how to perform a specific gravity test. Perform a ping test and for silver a magnet slide test.

Put a picture of the coin up on the forum and ask for people's opinion on its authenticity.

Compare the pictures of the coin you intend to buy with pictures of a know example of a real coin.

Google what errors to look out for in a fake coin of the type you want to buy.

Don't buy from sellers who hide their feedback as private. 

Only buy from sellers who have sold coins/bars in the past.

Only buy from sellers with at least 50-100 transactions with 100%  positive feedback.

Very doggy to buy from China..fake capital of the world, unless you're really confident.

Use your common sense. If something feels wrong, walk away.

Thinks that's about it from me, someone will add more I'm sure.

Good luck.

I avoid ebay at all costs now in regards to precious metals, you really have to know your stuff and genuine sellers are working on  increased prices to cover their costs/fees. The only items I buy from ebay are power sellers punting domestic goods cheaply. 

I stick to trusted members on the forum and established dealers.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Please name and shame on this thread. These shysters need to be exposed - they are preying on the goodwill of buyers.

Avoid anything by "bungle13" - have been stung by this guy. He puts fake single semi-numismatics.. Eg The Wedge-Tailed Eagles, and then puts a picture with a fake date. Some of the coins he advertises weren't even around when he "dated" the images!

In general avoid eBay. There's no good reason to shop there as it's mostly scams and the prices are work out more extensive than STG and Estonian dealers anyway. Just not worth it.

15 hours ago, MCJ said:

If the price is too good to be true, it's probably a fake

On this point, sometimes you will look at how much you're saving rather than how much you're spending, that can be a dangerous trap

Speaking from experience :D

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jkay said:

Oh dear, a couple of people will be disappointed. Seen what prices they are up to?

Interesting packaging. It's just like looking at the products on the shelves at Lidl. Looking similar to the real deal but a cheap copy/forgery.

1 hour ago, ApisMellifera said:

Depends which way you look at it.

It's an appallingly bad copy of the original but it does say it's a re-strike and is probably 22ct gold.

So slightly over £400 worth of gold..................for £2250 !!! FFS

But it is numbered 47 of 125 mintage so that's alright then.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived