• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

Being new to stacking, I decided it was time to check out my local coin shop for the first time today.

Had a nice chat with the chap there, and picked up my first silver panda: a 2015. Kind of an impulse buy but It's the year my daughter was born so may start a little date run. Coin is in great condition although the capsule had some scratches... I don't feel too hard done by at £20.

IMG_2017-03-04_15-22-47.JPG.9ff08a9e5308ea8e278765dae19d8622.JPG

[mention=480]happy2gether[/mention] what is the error with the coin?      Shouldn't have graded that well looking at the queens cheek

It is graded by NGC as mint error "Tapered Planchet". The coin weights 7.3g instead of 1/4 oz. Keen to see it in real, but have to wait few months when I visit USA again.

@Cornishfarmer there are different explanations for it:
- http://www.error-ref.com/tapered-planchets/
- http://www.coinsgb.com/Error_Coins/Thick_And_Thin_Planchet.html

I thought it too that this coin could be interesting especially modern gold coins with weight errors are rare. But I'm completely new to error coins.

Edited by happy2gether

3 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

Quite interesting, if this coin was heavier you could bet your bottom dollar they'd throw it back in the melting pot, yet happy to send out a lightweight coin.....

I know there is a tolerance in producing the blanks. But I thought that each gold blank would be individually weighted or scanned. I don't know if the Royal Mint does it. Although it is bullion coin but for gold I think the tolerance is really small. Tolerance for Lincoln cent coins are bigger and therefore there are more error coins.

38 minutes ago, happy2gether said:

I know there is a tolerance in producing the blanks. But I thought that each gold blank would be individually weighted or scanned. I don't know if the Royal Mint does it. Although it is bullion coin but for gold I think the tolerance is really small. Tolerance for Lincoln cent coins are bigger and therefore there are more error coins.

Not sure what they do these days, but certainly in the days of old when gold coins eg sovereigns were used for circulating coinage, the mint had automatic weighing balances that rejected anything ouside fine tolerances. Today though, as these coins are minted purely for bullion investment and collecting, maybe the mint doesn't take as much care? I would be surprised if that were the case though, as modern sovereigns tend to be exactly right, and issuing bullion that is overweight would cost them money.

I'm sure @shortstack68 is correct. They will reclaim any overweights but will be happy to issue underweights for the error collectors to drool over. They will be aware of the tapered planchet issue, and it saves them a couple of quid in gold too:D

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

you both work for the Royal Mint? :P That would be a new policy. every xx gold coin underweighted if well adjusted. And maybe instead of pure silver they are adding other minor metals and that cause milk spots. But yeah, they save tons of silver too. ;) 

Edited by happy2gether

Today I bought 2017 Malaysia trigos 1st KL Money fair 60g silver  Panda and dragon coins with a mintage of 66..
IMG_20170307_160018.thumb.png.2c44204111c1364f5efbf4eb68e48234.png
IMG_20170307_160031.thumb.png.c55431369e9141e9da2c49c70448e6aa.png
IMG_20170307_155936.thumb.png.cd60310a6feca5bf6e55a9bc78dd0068.png
IMG_20170307_155955.thumb.png.b7b638952e47e37f67a34a36b8a96cd1.png

Who is selling them?
What mint made them?

4 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Who is selling them?
What mint made them?

I bought them preorder from Andrew..The sellers were allocated 25% and the rest will be sold at the show next week..

Don't think Andy has anymore as I wanted another 3...Lucky is selling the 40mm copper ones but he has no silver been allocated to him..Dragons allocation is going straight to NGC so only Naomi has 2 sets left

My stack is 27 ounces larger as of today. Noticeably cheaper than a few weeks ago! I was planning to make the purchase in the last week of this month, but I thought the price was very oversold and so brought it forward.  

Cheltenham Festival is next week - hoping to make at least enough money to buy another similar sized batch :-)

Edited by vand

I made an order for : 

- 1 x micky mouse steamboat willie 2017
- 1 x Queens beast 2017 Red dragon. (still sometime before it actually comes in stock)
- 2 x niue athenian owl 2017. looks nice and very cheap
- 1 x koala 2017
- 1 x Lynx predators series 2017
- 1 Tube of maple leaves (25coins) 

I made an order for : 
- 1 x Queens beast 2017 Red dragon. (still sometime before it actually comes in stock)
- 1 x koala 2017

Nice looking order

I made an order for : 
- 1 x koala 2017

Is the Steamboat a gold coin? If so where did you order from. Thanks