• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

why silver/ why gold

craig12

a slight twist on a common topic, what makes you buy silver and not gold, and what makes you buy gold and not silver

im curious about the silver question

do you buy because  silver is more affordable to own

do you buy becauset theres more for your money

do you buy because its the big stack that draws you

do you get influenced by American stackers/you tube

do you buy because of the vat Estonia twist

do you like to just stare at your silver

do you buy because you feel gold isn't a good investment

-----------------------------------------------

on gold

do you buy because its so small and portable

do you buy because you don't need to hold much for the same money

do you buy just one kind  ie sovereigns and love em

do you buy because you feel silver isn't a good investment

do you buy because of you tube videos

do you buy because fractional gold is more affordable

obviously im not expecting an answer to every question  just a point of view to why you buy silver  or why you buy gold and not silver

personally for me with the premiums  iam wanting to hold  1/2 sovereigns / sovereigns / 20g gold bars

in silver  1oz / 250g bars/ 10 oz bars/

I read a lot about silver and its price predictions, this maybe what drives stacking, cos if you have say £20000  overall that will buy you around 100 sovereigns  or  around 1400 silver maples

either way you hold bullion 

which way to go and why

sorry for long lay out of question

For silver I collect 1oz bars and coins. It doesn't bother me if it's legal tender or rounds.

For investment, I will be stacking semi numis on the most part. The rest will be cheap bullion and all in coins because of the VAT.

For gold I collect fractionals in the form of 1/10th, 1g, 2g, 2.5g and 5g. It's more expensive this way but it's more fun with more variety. There will be a time when I run out of refined bars because they don't change very much. But with coins, I can always collect date runs.

For investment I will be stacking sovereigns and 1oz coins because they have the lowest premiums. But to be honest, I won't be buying much because it's rather expensive. In total, I would say 3oz/year upto a maximum of 5oz.

All this precious metal business is more of a hobby than anything else.

I like them both, but silver you can get so much of it for the price of 1 oz gold. I have started getting a few 1/20 gold and they are awesome looking. I can see 1/10 coming very soon, but 95% of my stack will likely be silver.

The fractional gold stuff is fun. I want to get the 0.5g kangaroo and koala. I made an order for stuff the other day but forgot to add them. Expensive but cool.

Gold coins are fairly close to spot price whilst you're lucky if you don't pay more than 50% over spot for silver coins.

If you don't think silver will make an explosive move then gold is the logical option.

I'm either illogical or I think silver will make an explosive move.

I buy silver because I like a lot of substance for my money, and I can't afford 180oz of gold.

6 tubes of maples or 3 gold coins. The difference between gold and silver is huge.

I wish i had more sov's and in time i will, but silver 1oz on a low income is affordable.and maybe that is the answer it all comes down to the individual's personal financial situation and the preference.I like A.S.E's wish all my stack was silver  eagles and gold sov's,if i could click my fingers and the P.M. fairies could fix it i would.

I'm also of the thinking that silver has the potential to get closer to gold to about 10-1. So in the long term your return on silver could be quite large. I still believe we are heading to a gold/silver backing currency within the next 5-10 years, if not sooner. If this does happen, you just wait and see what they value an oz at. :)

do you buy because  silver is more affordable to own

- Kind of, there's a huge variety of great designs which can be owned for a good price made of a beautiful metal with a good worth

do you buy becauset theres more for your money

-Again, kind of, what's wrong with bulk PMs

do you buy because its the big stack that draws you

-Same as above

do you get influenced by American stackers/you tube

-Not really, I know what I likes and I likes what I know

do you buy because of the vat Estonia twist

-Plan to, what's wrong with paying less for your silver in a perfectly legitimate way

do you like to just stare at your silver

-It's purty.

do you buy because you feel gold isn't a good investment

-No, it's just a different metal with a different price and thus a different accumulation process

-----------------------------------------------

on gold

do you buy because its so small and portable

-No, I like bulk, so it's not the small size

do you buy because you don't need to hold much for the same money

-No, it's just a different investment, perhaps if i want to store more i will buy gold. I'm not a guy who likes a huge pile of silver neccesarily, comes a point where i'd rather have a couple of dozen ounces of gold over thousands of ounces of silver :)

That's not to say I don't plan on having a healthy stock of silver mind

do you buy just one kind  ie sovereigns and love em

-No, I <3 variety

do you buy because you feel silver isn't a good investment

-Not at all

do you buy because of you tube videos

-Nope

do you buy because fractional gold is more affordable

- Sort of, I don't buy gold in 1oz blocks but equally i don't really buy 'fractional' in the literal sense as I haven't yet bought any fractional coin.

I buy silver mostly for the reason that i believe a GSR at 66-67 is too much, i will swap to gold when/if GSR gets to about 40.

Second thing is that im a collector and get more objects in silver compared to gold

I buy silver mostly for the reason that i believe a GSR at 66-67 is too much, i will swap to gold when/if GSR gets to about 40.

Second thing is that im a collector and get more objects in silver compared to gold

Bosse, you say you are a collector but would swap over at a GSR of 40.

I have thought about this a lot, and I'm not sure I could bear to swap over even though it would be the sound financial choice.

I'm very tempted to get a core stack for the swap over and keep the collection.

Stacker since 2013

I didnt say i would give up my silver, only saying start buying gold instead 

I love my collection,  :wub:   i sure hope i never need to sell it.

Would love to pass it on to my kids when im gone.

With the greatest of respect, do you actually believe that?

I think its very possible, one of many different possibility's. I'm not saying its what i'm basing my future on, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen. I'm no expert on this and my mind sways from one thing to another in what I believe. 

I'm no expert either, and I think it's about time the financial system had a shake-up.

I hope you are right KL.

I think it will happen as a short term measure if we need a reset. But I can't see it lasting as it would cause a lot of restrictions with the world powers and banks.

You will find that gold prices are very close together whether buying or selling.

Margins are generally small with a spread of a few percent.

Silver is much cheaper per ounce so treat silver as fractional gold if planning to drip-sell in the future.

With a GSR of say 60 you can split your PMs into units of fiat easier.

Buying silver with full VAT at 20% is a big disadvantage so look for suppliers in the EU that are lower VAT.

However silver coins do seem to sell on feeBay very well at prices well above those paid if you buy smartly.

After fees though, margins are quite tight.

Generally if you are stacking as a serious hobby / investment you could buy both gold and silver.

If you buy enough silver, storing will become an issue.

Let's hope they don't try to confiscate - they can prise my L6's from my cold lifeless fingers. Ha ha

I don't think they will confiscate it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some point in the proceedings the TAX aspect was increased / added considerably to both Gold and Silver over the years, with something along the lines of, only 400oz LBMA Good Delivery type bars being exempt.

Archived