• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Magnets for testing Metals

Shamatti

So I have been checking out feebay looking at magnets.

What do people generally use? There are neodymium magnets there of every shape and size, and for very little cost - although you do seem to have to purchase a zillion of them at a time! lol But they come in every shape and size you can think of.

What is the most practical to keep in your pocket? What works the best you find that amazing lump of silver in a flea market and need to make certain before parting with your cash?

Hints and tips people! Bring it on! lol :ph34r:

Any strong magnet will suffice so don't get fooled by terminology like neodymium or other rare earth metal jargon.

The stronger the magnet the better, so I think neodymium is the way to go.

The ones I have are silly strong.

Stacker since 2013

I had a "proper" magnet at work that was a superconductor like the ones used in the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, Geneva.

If you walked past it and had a bunch of keys in your trouser pocket it would rip them out of your trousers.

That's strong !

I had a "proper" magnet at work that was a superconductor like the ones used in the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, Geneva.

If you walked past it and had a bunch of keys in your trouser pocket it would rip them out of your trousers.

That's strong !

Ok, maybe mine isn't quite that strong Pete.

You win.

Stacker since 2013

I decided to buy some Nd magnets having watched Youtube videos on testing silver.

Buying 10mm dia. nickel plated ones for less than 40 pence a piece.

Ordered 10 for free P&P so they will work on my magnetic notice board as well

Apparently the very strong magnet will slide down silver if your coin or bar is tilted say at 45 degrees.

If it sticks it shows non silver and if it instantly drops off again it indicates other metals.

I never knew this test and several videos show this clearly, especially on an Engelhard bar.

I bought some myself recently. I'm collecting different designs of silver bar so I thought it would be a good test for the stuff coming from the bay.

Archived