• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Sovereigns v's Old Sovereigns

HGM

Would you as a customer prefer a 2015 sealed sovereign or a Victoria Young head 1887 sovereign?.

We are trying to find out what our customers prefer & coins you are looking out for? Melbourne mint. Sydney mint? Old? New? George, Edward, Victoria, Elizabeth.

post-618-0-47644400-1438094571_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-58134700-1438094611_thumb.jpg

that's the great thing about sovereign's there's so many different type's, I think you'll find different people go for different coin's for me I would be happy with any of them coin's,

I like the lucky dip part of it :), but out of them 2 I would go for the Victoria Young head 1887 only because I don't have that portrait yet

I am basically with Danny-boy, looking for the best price. That said,  there is security in knowing that a coin has come straight from the mint through a reliable dealer offset by the delight of finding something unusual in a stack of random sovereigns from HGM.

I much prefer the older coins and would take a knocked around Victoria coin over a mint 2015 one if there was no difference in price. At the prices you guys offer I am not going to argue either way, but I will always send you an email after buying to request the older coins over new. 

I have been purchasing sovereigns for several years and started buying from Bullion by Post before finding HGM.

In the beginning Bullion by Post sold sovereigns and half sovereigns just as bullion coins.

Today they are more of a coin shop listing coins by year and whether proof etc. BUT all with extra premiums added.

When selling back to them however you only get the gold weight and no extra for a proof or rarer coin.

The result is that I rarely buy from them.

The fact that you are now asking this question makes me wonder if you are considering following their lead.

The result could be bad for us stackers as inevitably you will be tempted into increase prices and push me ( and others no doubt ) elsewhere.

Sometimes with your 4% margin on sovereigns you can be marginally less competitive than Atkinsons -  I have bought from them when it was slightly cheaper.

Personally I prefer to collect older coins but I must admit to liking the brand new ones in pristine condition.

Would I pay extra for a specific coin - definitely not unless it was proof and unmarked.

Getting unmarked proofs from most ( but not all ) dealers is getting difficult.

I just returned a proof gold coin to BullionbyPost as it was permanently marked and included fine hairline scratches and was in the wrong capsule despite paying a hefty premium.

Not into sovs but if I was I'd go for the older one because of the mystery and history of the coin ie who has owned, what was it exchanged for. But saying that the 2015 coin in mint packing would be cool, the lucky did element is what attracts a lot......:: I may have to go and buy me some sovs!!!!!

For a G&D design then the cheapest possible.  I am in the process of collecting one each of the different obverses and also one each of the available mint marks for each corresponding obverse but I would't pay an additional premium for them.

I have been purchasing sovereigns for several years and started buying from Bullion by Post before finding HGM.

In the beginning Bullion by Post sold sovereigns and half sovereigns just as bullion coins.

Today they are more of a coin shop listing coins by year and whether proof etc. BUT all with extra premiums added.

When selling back to them however you only get the gold weight and no extra for a proof or rarer coin.

The result is that I rarely buy from them.

The fact that you are now asking this question makes me wonder if you are considering following their lead.

The result could be bad for us stackers as inevitably you will be tempted into increase prices and push me ( and others no doubt ) elsewhere.

Sometimes with your 4% margin on sovereigns you can be marginally less competitive than Atkinsons -  I have bought from them when it was slightly cheaper.

Personally I prefer to collect older coins but I must admit to liking the brand new ones in pristine condition.

Would I pay extra for a specific coin - definitely not unless it was proof and unmarked.

Getting unmarked proofs from most ( but not all ) dealers is getting difficult.

I just returned a proof gold coin to BullionbyPost as it was permanently marked and included fine hairline scratches and was in the wrong capsule despite paying a hefty premium.

I cant same i am brand loyal to any one UK bullion dealer over another 

HGM, Atkinsons,Baird, Chard, BBP, ATS, my x2 local stores i have for in person purchase.  

Ive bought from them all and I know all offer a good and trustworthy service

The current pricing model of flat +3% for most gold and +4% for sovereigns makes me favour @HGM over anyone else (currently).  

If it saves me time and i know i can be done and dusted in a few clicks and the item will arrive the next day 

Also the power of the web/forum someone will quickly highlight a good offer or best deals via the the 'gold deals' thread

No buyer wishes to be sat with calculator working out if something is or is not a good deal 

If they choose to change and cherry pick items/prices it would just serve prompt me to look elsewhere to get the best current deal to spot.

Their 'pile it high, sell it cheap' business model works for me as customer 

I prefer the older ones also but a mix is fine, price is the bottom line. It is good sometimes not to know exactly what sovereign type is winging its way from HGM as a surprise.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I would prefer the older ones, but it comes down to price. I will buy the cheapest, whether it is a Queen Vic or a Queen Liz.

I can understand premiums on shields, (just), although I did notice you doubled the premium on the shields over the last year or so. (any reason why that was?), but I wouldn't want to pay any extra for older coins.

I do like the lucky dip aspect of not knowing what will arrive, when placing an order.  

I'd take the older one, for no other reason that I don't like the current Queen's portraits.  However, would I pay a premium for this?  Abolutely not.

I had a feeling this would happen with regards to market research and perhaps increased premiums as a result.  You guys are on top of the market because you're the cheapest - once you get into raising premiums for individual coins you go from being in a niche market of selling bullion coins at good prices to being in a massively-saturated market of dealers & indivudals all trying to whack premiums onto their coins (in addition to your currently less well-priced rivals).

Lets not all jump to conclusions.

HGM can't post a simple question without people jumping to "don't raise premiums, we will go elsewhere!"

Friendly lol

You will make them regret joining. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Good to hear peoples opinions and view on this matter. This was not an intention to higher any premiums just a simple question as we find some of our customer prefer older coins and the other newer coins.

Good to hear peoples opinions and view on this matter. This was not an intention to higher any premiums just a simple question as we find some of our customer prefer older coins and the other newer coins.

Yes, I'd imagine there are collectors of both.

I think a good change would be for you to offer date ranges or different heads separately at the same premium - then people get what they prefer at the same price. If there are no older coins for the people that prefer older coins, they can choose newer coins (if in stock) or wait until the older coins are in stock.

Just an idea, to throw into the mix. Would mean slightly more work your end, but possibly more satisfied customers.

Stacker since 2013

Archived