• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz Geiger bar, real or not?

Ryan AC

Hi, I'm new to silver bars and am a bit suspicious of a Geiger bar I've bought, any help or advice would be much appreciated and if someone has one to compare that'd be even better.

My reasons for suspecting it's not real:

Reeded edge, I haven't seen this on pics of 1oz bars from internet dealers, only seen on larger bars.

No UV markings, or is this only on larger bars?

reverse side is as shiny as front side, I've read it's supposed to be duller.

I'll add a couple pics of it as soon as I get home.

Thanks, Ryan.

Thanks that's good to hear. I didn't think the 1oz's had reeded edges looking at pics but good to know they do, it is nice to have on there. Was worried mainly about having no UV but guess that's just the larger bars and not worth adding to the 1oz bars.

It was an eBay purchase, haven't seen very many and it looked nice so thought It'd be a nice buy. I've bought a few others but I can use weight and dimensions to check usually, just couldn't find any info on the Geiger bars dimensions.

Post before messed up with pics so edited.

Thanks.

Ryan, I'm really sorry mate but I misread your first post, I thought it said 10oz.

I know nothing about the 1oz so please disregard my post.

I'm sure somebody else will be along shortly that knows.

Stacker since 2013

Thanks, doesn't look good from the pics on there does it, it's the same pic with other sites as well. I wasn't sure if they were real photos though or ones they've made and added the edge themselves on a computer as the stock photos on Geiger aren't at an angle so you can't tell wether they do or don't have reeded edges. Also seems strange a copy would have added them to it if the original doesn't have it.

Geiger haven't made it very easy to check with the details on there site, doesn't mention what's reeded and what's not or give much info at all really:

https://www.geiger-edelmetalle.de/eigene_produkte.php/metal/Ag/type/selfproduced

Good point about the packaging as well, it should be from one of those sheets.

I might send Geiger a message and ask wether they have reeded edges and for the dimensions if no one has a 1oz, I'll update if I do.

Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_310 using Tapatalk

Gday Ryan, Geiger 1oz bars DO have reeded edges, it is so they cant be shaved, a security measure.

We have sold hundreds of these bars, direct from Geiger mint, all reeded.

The plastic surrounding them can vary depending how your dealer cuts them down, in the full sheets of 20 there is actually quite a lot of room between the bars - lots of wasted space and plastic!!!

Looks legit to me, however if in doubt have it tested.

It looks more like an artists image, could be wrong, but actually looks like a CGI image.

All gieger minted items have reeded edges, only the cast has smooth edges.

I think Ryan can rest without stress, maybe weigh it and float test if he is worried.

Just to add, geiger make really nice stuff, good price, lots of demand for their items.

The New Southern Cross bullion is being made by them, looks really good.

They are infact real also they make 1/z oz coins, which I have. 

Geiger silver is actually minted by Leipziger, hence why any minted silver that Leipziger produce, Most of them have the "LEV" pattern for e.g The Noah Ark coins have LEV on them, Same with the Gieger bars. (there are different versions, you have the one where it does not say LEV) 

post-53-0-80894300-1396593402_thumb.jpg

That's good, I'm happy with the weight of it, the sound it makes when pinged and the size looks good so I think it's real then. I don't really want to open it up and acid test it but if I decide the plastic's too irritating then I might, I'll get some gloves and cases first though.

Thanks for everyone's help. :)

There are several ways to check for authenticity.

And there's no need to use acid, which by the way only tests surface material.

A bar can be silver coated and thus test "positive" yet still be made from another, cheaper metal. So surface testing is not entirely helpful :(

Ask if somebody has an ultrasound machine.

If not, and if you're going to be a keen silver stacker why not buy one.

They are on ebay for around seventy quid.

Failing this, hunt around for a jeweller or bullion dealer with an XRF machine.

Looking at your photos and looking at your photos alone, the bar doesn't look to bad to me.

There's a lot of paranoia about fake silver bars.

You're more likely to find it in gold bars, and for that matter 5 oz an north of 5 oz.

There is a good youtube clip on this. Go to youtube and type in fake gold bars.

It's hardly worth the effort in faking 1 oz silver bars, but that's not to say it hasn't happened.

I'm told there were some fake 1 oz Sunshine Minting bars around.

I've never seen one but that's irrelevant.

Sunshine Minting (and others) have since incorporated hologram security measures. Google this and see what this entails.

Good luck, and hope you bars are ok.

Archived