• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fractional gold and 1g bars.

SilverPirate

Have you tried Baird&Co? There cheap on combi bars

I have now. Thanks. 50s are OOS but will come in at a tad under 10%.

10 and 20 packs are 13% before delivery. Higher % but I don't have to buy as many.

Time to have a think this evening. This PM buying can get addictive.

I love the valcambi. Wish I had picked some up, but I was always in the wrong place at the wrong time lol. I also like the pamp 1g bars which come on big cardboard sheets which are perferated so you can tear off one at a time.

I would love to own some fractional bars and coins for the novelty but the premiums are just too high for me.

See if any of your UK online dealers sell "low premium" gold.

"Goldstackers" from Melbourne (Australia) do.

Have a look at their website ... easy to navigate,

See if their premiums on fractional gold look ok to you.

Why not look into buying from them, or nudge your local dealers  :rolleyes:

What are peoples views on fractional gold,

1/ Do you think there worth the premium?

2/ Do you like them?

3/ Do you think they are a good investment?

4/ Do you think they are a good preservation of wealth?

5/ Do you think sod that i get more silver for my money?

6/ Do you think save up and buy a half sovereign is more sensible?

7/ Do you think sod it i like it i am having it?

Over to you guys.

For what its worth - in my opinion - do not buy less than a half sovereign - premiums are too high - (unless you want to display and look at them) - and frankly, unless you can get a half sovereign close to 50% price of a sovereign then purchase the sovereign. However, if you decide to buy a half sovereign every month for the next 20+ years - well that's fine too - better than in a savings account.

In UK, Sovereigns and Britannia's (and Half Sovereigns) are capital gains tax free and so, should over time - you save a large number - or they go up in price significantly -  when it comes to selling them, you maximise your return without penalty to the tax man. If you are looking for best value, then 12.5 KG Gold Bar is best at £318,000 and or 1 KG at around £25,000 - but if you can afford those, you really shouldn't be on this site but speaking with your adviser in Switzerland while lying on your yacht in Monaco. :)

Yes you will get much more silver for your money - and whilst I like silver, taking a 20 year view, I am far more bullish for gold taking a 3 - 10 year view. Purely because silver, despite what is said by others, is in sufficient supply currently to meet demand, and stocks will only become a worrying issue in 2025 and beyond. Its a good bet, in that if the economy improves, Industrial demand for it rises, and if the economy fails, then demand as a hedge/currency increases. I can only see silver reaching significant heights when gold has motored ahead first. - certainly in the shorter term.

As far as GSR is considered, guys don't get hooked up on this. Just from my living memory the GSR has ranged from 14 - 80 (approximately) - how is there a definitive GSR link with such a variance? - there is a closer link of gold to the price of oil than there is gold to silver. The only difference being, is that silver has been, and may be, seen as a 'poor mans' currency when gold becomes too expensive.

Now has anyone thought of this - suppose there is financial Armageddon, and we are all 'heading for the hills' to our secret hideaways. What would you rather carry with you - 25 Gold Britannia's, 100 Gold Sovereigns, 1100+ Silver Maple Leaf's or a 50 Kg Silver Bar? (approx speaking). Goodness help you with the silver stash if you have more than £50,000 worth - you'd need to hire a crane lol.

If however you are purchasing for both investment and 'show' value then by all means get the different gold and silver coins but beware of the premiums. 

In the UK Sovereigns and Britannia's are best - in my opinion - not to look at -  but in premium, affordability and for tax purposes. However, a few gold bars 1oz and above offer better value but are a little less difficult to sell to 'the man in the street' or down the pub.

Finally, as an investment. Well traditionally gold and silver has served as a hedge - i.e. insurance, and any good investment adviser would say invest 5% - 10% of your savings 'as protection' (they don't because they receive no commission on gold and silver purchases). However, some may argue currently, that gold (and possibly silver) is good for capital gains too - especially 1975 - 1980 and 2005 - 2012.  If you believe quantitative easing (money printing) is out of control and that the 'markets are rigged' keeping the price of gold and silver artificially low, then it may again serve as an attractive investment opportunity for capital appreciation again, and not just a means to preserve wealth.

25 Years ago I sold my brother a £40 a month savings plan, issued by a well known bank, in a managed fund. Having saved £12000 to date, his fund is currently valued at £14,500 (not great). If he had invested that £40 per month in gold or £80 every 2 months (to purchase a sovereign or half sovereign) he would today have approximately 40 ounces of gold which would be valued at around £32,000 at current prices. So even if gold was half of today's price he would still have faired marginally better investing in gold. This is why I am a great believer in saving regularly over a long period of time.

As I always say, I could be wrong, but that's my opinion at any rate! 

When I plan on buying more gold it'll fall into 2 catagories; numi or investment.

If we're talking the former, then any denomination will do, it's the numismatic value i'm after and perfectly willing to pick up coins with awkward quantities because I'm interested in the history (50 Lire - Italian, 5.81g, 0.900 circa 1880 as an example) and the fact it's gold is not the primary driver. Another example being a 20 mark - Prussia, 7.16g, .900 circa 1890.

If we're talking the latter then it will be nothing less than a sovereign. If I had the money for a half sovereign then i'd rather spend that amount on silver OR save up to purchase a full sovereign. Anything less results in a smaller version than a sovereign (itself not a very big coin) and a part of me will always think "is that it?". If the likes of a 1/4 Britannia comes into it then - again - I would either buy a sovereign, the equivalent amount in silver or save up to buy a full Britannia.

Granted, I have extremely small holdings in gold, but that's how I plan on doing it in the future.

Put it this way, your holdings in gold are significantly larger than mine, I have none.

I'd love some, but can't spend £200 odd on a sovereign when I can get 12-13oz of silver for the same money.

Stacker since 2013

That's the dilemma which is only really solved when you click the button named "Complete purchase" or words to that effect ;)

But IMO it really does come down to exactly why the gold is being bought. Investment tends to lower premiums which tends to heavier coins, but sometimes the gold bug bites tight and doesn't let go.

Lets have a think about premiums for a moment.

Several times on this thread people have mentioned that premiums are too high on the smaller fractional bars and coins. Well, I can't argue that these items don't have higher premiums, but they keep them! I have many gold 1g 5g ¼ and ½ ounce bars, and coins as small as a tenth. And you know what? When I sell them, they will be sold for spot plus a high premium. It is my contention that these items do not loose their high premiums in the second hand markets. So as long as sopt rises before you sell them you will always make your money back, plus some profit.

What I call 'little gold' is an essential part of my stacking strategy. Not only does it complete some lovely sets I have collected (See my beautiful Horse collection in the gallery) but in a SHTF scenario (And we all know it is coming) It will be invaluable for trading. It is all well and good heading to the hills with a hundred silver coins, but a small gold offering will open a lot of doors if needs be! ;)

For me, a well rounded stack needs several ingredients: Silver from ½ ounce to 1KG - mostly 1 Oz is good, but have some 2's 5's and 10's too. The heavier they get the less of each you need. Then gold - same sort of spread, several 1g's a few ¼ and ½ and 2 or 3 1 ouncers. I have all the Pamp bars from 1g to 1 ounce, several of the smaller ones. 2 or three of the medium ones. Not only does this satisfy the collector in me, but it also fulfils my SHTF stacking rules too!

Pamp has a high premium, I know. The small Pamp has a particularly high premium - but you know what? I will sell them at a high premium and make that money back, plus some on top! Especially if I decide to sell on eBay. Buy from a dealer today - sell on eBay tomorrow and you are likely to make a profit.

Now, if you are purely a collector, and are not at all interested in selling on for a profit, then none of what I am saying makes any sense, I can see that. But at the end of the day, gold and silver - for me at least - represents money. Liquidity. It is a platform for saving my hard earned where I am likely to make a better return than a bank over the long haul. It is a guarantee to protect me wealth through an economic collapse. It is bribe money/purchasing power if the S really does H the F. 

And on top of all of that, It is beautiful, sexy and fun to collect! :D Dudes and dudesses, I so love my Series of Decent coins. (I plug these so often I want discount on the next coin! lol)

So..... after all that pontification - my message is simple. Stop worrying about premiums. If you like it, buy it. You won't loose out, and you will love your stack all the more for it! I promise you that! :wub:

LOL, series of Dissent will never come cheap unless someone is desperate to sell. Being made in a small private mint, by HAND is costly, our production costs are huge. We are dropping the mintages on the next few releases also to only 888oz.

Yep you will pretty much always get your premium back on fractional gold, I dont think twice about it. With spot close to $1700.00 aud, we were still selling 1/10 at around $195.00ea. 

15% is a good premium on 1/10oz. Unfortunately, after delivery it would take the premium to 20-25%.  I've decided to collect 1/10ths and will aim for a max premium of 20%.

Received my first lot of 1/10ths today and I'm really liking them. They're lovely to play with and make a nice ding when you jiggle them about in your hand.

With almost 10 major different 1/10 coins a year, it's a nice way to get 1oz with variety while staying on a budget.

I bought a couple of Johnson matthey 5 gram bars from atkinsons , good price but theyre no bigger than a sim card , I wish I,d have bought 1 x 10 gram bar instead I wont buy anything under either a sovereign or dearer, there is a coin on atkinsons at the minute , an Iranian coin that's quite cheap. but me personally  no  more purchases under 20 in bar form or 1/2 sovereigns , weight plays a part in stacking I feel  and the small gold bars just don't weigh anything,

I bought a couple of Johnson matthey 5 gram bars from atkinsons , good price but theyre no bigger than a sim card , I wish I,d have bought 1 x 10 gram bar instead I wont buy anything under either a sovereign or dearer, there is a coin on atkinsons at the minute , an Iranian coin that's quite cheap. but me personally  no  more purchases under 20 in bar form or 1/2 sovereigns , weight plays a part in stacking I feel  and the small gold bars just don't weigh anything,

Some gold I like very small, even .5 gram coins, but the full sovereign size is what we find to be ideal for gold.  We also want to get some Mexican 10 pesos and 20 Franc French roosters, but we usually buy from our local dealer, and they're no telling what they'll have in the shop when we stop in.

Archived