• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What would a gold sovereign have got you in 1909?

Couldn't find 1909, but in 1910 these were common prices..

So a sovereign could have bought you 96 loaves of bread.....

Some typical prices

Rent 3s 6d - 5s per week 
 Loaf of bread 2½d 
1 pound butter 1s 2d 
1 pound sugar 3d 
1 pound tea 1s 6d 
20 pounds of potatoes 10d 
1 pound cheese 6d 
1 pound bacon 9d 
1 pound onions 1½d 
Dozen eggs 1s 
1 pound biscuits 8d 
1 pound lard 7d 
1 pound jam 5½d 
1 pound apples 3d 
12 pints milk 3d 
1 pound meat 10d 
Wrights Coal Tar soap 4d per tablet 
Child’s boots 2s 11d 
Letter post 1d 
Swan Vestas matches 1d

if a sov is 1/4 Oz and 3Oz silver has 12 quarters in it, its probably not far off the old GSR of 15:1 I supose there was also a premium on the making of the 3 silver coins that might accont for the missing 3/4?

just a thought :)

so how much would a sovereign have cost? Was it currency or was it always a bullion coin?

Answered my own question by reading the royal mint website, apparently a gold sovereign  was 20 shillings. So a months rent at the tope end using the prices HT kindly gave.

A months rent is also the price of a good tailored suit, which i know is the standard value of a gold coin. so in essence the value of a sovereign should be about a £1-2000 putting an oz in at about 4-8 grand. by which standards, gold is super cheap right now.

​please correct me if I’m wrong.

Answered my own question by reading the royal mint website, apparently a gold sovereign  was 20 shillings. So a months rent at the tope end using the prices HT kindly gave.

A months rent is also the price of a good tailored suit, which i know is the standard value of a gold coin. so in essence the value of a sovereign should be about a £1-2000 putting an oz in at about 4-8 grand. by which standards, gold is super cheap right now.

​please correct me if I’m wrong.

With regards to the Suit quote, they are referring to an ounce of gold, not a sovereign

What I am taking from this thread, and the other one currently running about gold, is that Gold has pretty much held its value. Fiat currency on the other hand, has been devalued.

So with that in mind, how much was silver worth in 1900?

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Good question CH. I have always thought that gold would go much further in past times.

And personally a tailoured suit is not worthy of an ounce of gold in my opinion.

Unless you have had a fully tailored suit - not just made to measure, but completely bespoke, then you have no idea what difference it makes.

• 8 years later...

oBump for this topic!

Even @crazy hippo is not here anymore, his question is still an interesting one.

Also, the answer offered by @HighlandTiger would generate good conversations on here.

Also, would be nice to see how much was to buy a one acre of land, a house /farm /cottage /mansion /castle, etc.

On 07/11/2014 at 17:52, crazy hippo said:

Hi guys did the curiosity here.

What do you think you would’ve been able to buy with a gold sovereign in 1909?

Around the turn of the century, a revolver cost about £5.  That's my data point.  If you're interested in more, get hold of a reprint of the 1902 Sears Roebuck catalogue and bear in mind that £1 was equivalent to about $5 USD at the time.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

On 07/11/2014 at 19:43, watchesandwhisky said:

I'm interested if you could have swapped 10 florins for a sovereign at the time, they do say a tenth of a pound..:o that would have been just over three ounces silver for a sovereign.

Yes sovereigns were currency, they circulated.

A fair few have been recovered from the Titanic wreck. There were also a few hoards from the 1880s and 1890s that were found in the 1960s and they had mixtures of gold and silver - Aussie sovereigns (the local crowned AUSTRALIA design) also circulated widely in the UK.

Here's a list of four hoards found, some great info on what age and kinds of coins were circulating:

https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/1964_BNJ_33_23.pdf

Edited by SidS