• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How to spot a fake sovereign.

jazzman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you Vulture, when you blow them up they look cast to me, look across the coin near the the neck of the queens head a stamped coin doesn't have that texture, also check the crown on the 2002 sov and how it falls into the sheild, I'd also say they were fakes.  

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

The surface of the coin is mottled, 'orange peely' I describe it as.

'Orange peely' I like that, steer clear of coins with an orange peel texture, the sign of somethings that's been moulded into a shape then cooled instead of gold blanks that've been stamped with dies.   

Depends whether that black mark will come off (or if it's a shadow).  If not, I wouldn't expect collectors rushing to pay well over spot. 

Collectors wouldn't be paying much over spot anyway for that coin. It has a very high mintage and not hard to find. Personally, I'd just clean the coin, and stick it in my album. It's a bullion coin really more than a collectors coin.

Sometimes it is blatantly obvious they are fakes but with these mmmm, not sure the only true way to tell is to get your hands on them and do the the tests.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread. I have a fake sovereign in my collection which I've held on to as a curiosity. I'll get some pictures up when I get a chance.

Cheers!

Barns

Maybe also tell us fellow stackers the specifics of why your coin is a fake for educational purposes.

That looks very shiny, dimply, features look wobbly and round 

I would guess it was a fake, but I know just about nothing so I don't trust my own opinion  :unsure:

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Very difficult to tell but the surface condition appears awful - maybe the picture rather than the coin.

An 1866 half sov type IB ( has a die number ) is not rare and had a mintage of around 2 million.

The die number is difficult to make out - see the two digits on the reverse at the bottom of the shield.

It looks like its made by the same person as the sov Kman sent back.

Compare with this.http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Sovereign+1866&category=9&searchtype=1

Oh yes I meant to post about that 

Paul emailed me

Good news. The coin has been looked at by two of the most established numismatic coin dealers in the UK and both agree that the coin is genuine. It has just been used and perhaps worn in jewellery and that is the reason for its condition.

He offered that I could buy it again at a discounted price, I declined. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Archived