• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Lets cheers ourselves up - biggest prices you paid for 1oz of silver in 2011

Paul

In the light of this smack-down in price of silver this week, lets cheers ourselves up a bit

We can recall back to the hedonistic sunny days of late 2010/early 2011 when silver was going to the moon and beyond and was investment of the decade

As silver made its wonderful run up to its peak in mid april 2011

Today i have looked back over my note book and spreadsheets to see what i bought in the run up to April 2011

I started stacking on mid 2010 fearing nothing had changed since 2008 crash.

Here are some of my 'best' (worst prices i have paid in 2010/2011 - probably being a good bit through eBay didn't help either)

• 29/03/11  (x5) RCM maples £36.41 each - now they have milk spots as well !
  • 10/04/11  (x1) 1990 kookaburra £52.71 - from eBay i needed it to fill my first set 
  • 13/04/11 (x2) mexican libertard £38.00 each

add another 300+ oz  to the mix for this era no wonder my (£) cost average today is still £26.60 an oz :(

If anybody can beat that kookaburra over price theres a milky bar in it for you !

I love posts / threads like this Paul because you give a reminder to the dangers of Groupthink that can quite easily set in in a place like this.  I also appreciate Pete's views on it all too for the same reason.  

As for me I'm the same as HT, also living in "blissful ignorance" in 2011.  If you'd tried to sell me a 1oz silver rabbit back then I would have told you the landlord doesn't allow pets.

This year, I paid the equivalent of over £120/oz for my half oz lunar mouse.

Also £64 for a HR year of the dragon 1oz.

Finally, £60 for a 2007 1oz koala.

I have a feeling MB will be taking the milkybar though [emoji1]

Edit - oops, didn't read the thread title properly, apologies.

In 2011 I was into circulated semi-numi coins and sold at the high in 2011 - did pretty nicely to be honest, but did buy a few expensive coins that I lost out on later. That spreadsheet has long gone though.

Stacker since 2013

I can look at it in two ways. I'm glad I only got into PM's this year, and missed those heady days of 2011 and I'm only buying when spot is around £11-£12.

BUT...........................If only i'd been buying silver in 2000, Spot was at only £3.20.

Oh the joys of hindsight..... ;)  

Yes just checked the database and I too was blissfully unaware of the PM then.

From the rate and volume I've noticed you buying in the "Today I bought" thread Keith, I find it hard to imagine a time that you weren't doing that.  I imagine you literally coming out of the womb with a coin in your hand.  

Ha Ha I like that, no I am in very fortunate position whereby I can spend an awful lot of my disposable income on PM's. But I suppose if the interest rates were better I might put some more into savings instead, but for now PM's.

However I will be ordering soon form STG!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I was into PMs but was forbidden by my father from buying any because of how big the boom was, I was 18 with cash on the hip but not allowed to spend :/

Thankful for it now however!

Ah but you've since rebelled and made up for it by buying lots of Morgan dollars, at 200% and more over spot.... :D

That'll teach your Dad for not letting you get your own way back then .  :P

Ah but you've since rebelled and made up for it by buying lots of Morgan dollars, at 200% and more over spot.... :D

That'll teach your Dad for not letting you get your own way back then .  :P

I'd sooner have bought them now than I would have then ;)

I was not into silver coins or physical Pms in 2011,I started collecting mid 2012 and In don't regret any of my purchases, I just commented on SS there  are still a few silver  2 ozers I'm after and I will pay 12x spot minimum for them :)

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Worst price was £690 for a tube of maples in 2010, i was believing the silver salesmen at the time grrrrr.

Best price was £410 for 10 100 gram metalor bars in 2009, my first silver buy and still my best and at a time I had no idea in what I was doing, I believe vat was 15% then, the good ole days.

It brings tears to my eyes to see my 2011 purchases typically £30+ per oz and a lot of ounces I may add !

Worst buys were the America the Beautiful series ( 5 oz ) coins that averaged £36.40 per oz and the half ounce Lunar Dragons at £38.61 per oz.

Believe me these were the BEST prices at the time the metal was in fever pitch demand and heading for the moon, bought from the cheapest sources like eBay Germany and similar with only 7% VAT.

I therefore understand perfectly this thread with firsthand experience and a shed-full of silver at half its cost, well hidden from my wife naturally.

It brings tears to my eyes to see my 2011 purchases typically £30+ per oz and a lot of ounces I may add !

Believe me these were the BEST prices at the time the metal was in fever pitch demand and heading for the moon, 

Pete I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, I'll wager there is not a single person on here who if they were into PMs at the time, they would have been buying at the same prices.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Silver bullion will have its day again. I'd hazzard a guess you haven't got all assets tied up in PMs so don't fret about it. :)

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Worst buys were the America the Beautiful series ( 5 oz ) coins that averaged £36.40 per oz and the half ounce Lunar Dragons at £38.61 per oz.

Believe me these were the BEST prices at the time the metal was in fever pitch demand and heading for the moon, bought from the cheapest sources like eBay Germany and similar with only 7% VAT.

I therefore understand perfectly this thread with firsthand experience and a shed-full of silver at half its cost, well hidden from my wife naturally.

What are these 2011 ATB going for now?

Archived