• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1870 Proof Shield Sovereign

TheGoldSovereign

So, sorting through coins and as soon as I picked this up i noticed it was different. No years have fields like this that I've seen apart from some really nice strikes from the branch mints.

The coin clearly is not in top condition, but that is besides the point.

Points of note

Date: 1870

Die number: 1 - missing lower right serif

W.W. : Relief on trunc

Comment: There are no known die numbers until 80 for this year, only die number 1 (non proof). There is a proof example in the Bentley collection

Now there is a distinct difference above that tells me in fact this is a specimen or proof as can be found in the Bentley collection, if anyone here can find that difference, do you therefore agree? :)

DSC06695.thumb.JPG.7a147dc4ecf6376469116831b6018229.JPG

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

So, to clarify this is a strange coin and it was more a question of looking for opinions than a show and tell, I've already spoken to some of the leading experts on sovereigns and I'm not sure a grading body would help in this case. Coins like this are unknown, even the proof in the Bentley collection isn't confirmed as the Mint failed to comment when approached, and more examples (maybe like this impaired version) are needed to figure out why they exist!

I don't think anyone picked up on this from my original post so I'll explain my reasoning for thinking it was a specimen which I've since found *may* be incorrect.

The 1870 die 1 is an odd one, I don't know if this is common for other dates as this is the first time I've come across a kind of "mule", whereby there are different obverse dies used with the same reverse (numbered). In this case my obverse has W.W. in relief, the "currency" version in the Bentley collection has the W.W. incuse, this is why I initially thought it may be the same specimen before reaching our to experts and posting here.

Very interesting and more examples needed to confirm or deny, but I'll definitely be looking out for more differences in the die numbers now, knowing they aren't actually all the same!

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

3 hours ago, Elements said:

Might be able to write a book to rival Marsh after gathering all this info!

Going to put the database online this year at some point, won't be anywhere near complete but still should be a useful resource

The Gold Sovereign

I don't really have anything useful to add I'm afraid. I just wanted to say that that is one beautiful coin, thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more about it if anything comes up.

Archived