• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bullion or not Bullion

Sherabnamdhak

My first post on the forum by way of introducing myself, do we like shining new proof sovereigns or do we like bullion sovereigns, a simple question you might say but as a new Numismatics, yes I’ve found a new big word, it appears to be harder than I thought. You see I’ve found coin dealers and well they sell old sovereigns which have just made my choice that bit more confusing as they seem more interesting. So old or shiny new mundane or interesting. Open to ideas from all collectors or stackers

Mainly Sovereigns old and new, plus a variety of other gold coins if I happen to take a liking to them, also Silver, coins, and bars..happy collecting you have come to the right place.

I split my stack into 3 categories.  

Bullion ; generic sovs, bars and near spot coins.

Semi numi; coins with a bit more premium eg Vicky shields, some older 20 francs

Collectibles; graded coins, proofs and very high premium coins.

I like them all but if I had to choose it would be the semi numi’s anyday.  You can’t beat a coin with a bit of history ?. How about you? What’s your plan? 

Think about your exit strategy.

When the time comes to sell bulk bullion sovs can just be dumped on a dealer.  Proof coins will likely have to sold privately via forums/Ebay to get the best price that takes time and effort + has an element of increased risk.

Everyone is different but for me the bulk is cheap oz generic gold bullion with a few nice shiny pieces to keep things interesting.

Here's my top picks but I would say, make sure you buy what you like and anything cheap you buy just for weight, make sure it is cheap, and hide it away somewhere as you probably won't like it very much! 

Silver:

1) As much Hand poured and mass produced poured bars I can get my grubby hands on. 

2) Lots of popular primarily, Royal Mint U.K.  BU Coins: Britannia, Queen's Beasts etc. & Libertad, Elephants etc. 

3) As many coins that I especially Iike, chiefly with George & Dragon design, Pegasus design, Egyptian design &  coins other than Royal Mint featuring Britannia. 

Gold:

1) Bu Sovereigns

2) Britannia- Proof fractional & BU oz's

3) Queen's Beasts BU 1/4's 

It will definitely evolve over time, just let it happen.

I have nearly finished a date run of bullion Edward VII half sovs and am now being a bit more fussy on grade with a few Jubilee Head halves.

Also got my eye out for some Vic Young Heads.

Along the way I have also picked up a few proofs, some at spot + 3%  and some at a premium.

Nothing newer than Elizabeth 3rd portrait for me, not keen and half sovereigns every time, all the fun at half the price.

Enjoy the journey!

I agree with considering exit strategy if commiting large amounts to pm as an investment, understand the different levels of risk and reward between the choices and that collectors market and gold and silver markets are all different beasts. If the plan is to make it a hobby then buy what you like. Learn as much as you can stomach and expect the plan to change often.

Welcome,  

My advise is this do not jump in.  Be honest on how much money you have to spend.  Only then buy.  Now we have that out of the way,

Gold I would by bullion Sovereigns to start with.  Then when you find your feet you can make your own decision where you go.  

All great advice. As for an exit strategy well I have been collecting piedforts on and off but now it’s time to get serious so looking to move paper to gold as perhaps paper might not be to safe at least for the next 10-15 years Brexit May NI oh and Trump. The wife is younger than I am so perhaps my exit will be in wood not gold lol. At 58 I might just make it boys but who knows. Karma Neh. 

I think it depends on who you are.

If you get irritated when there is dust on your perfectly maintained telescope, park your car at the edge of the parking lot so nobody dings it with a shopping cart, and have a lint brush in your desk, then probably the collectible ones.

If you run your own kid down in nerf football while yelling "to crush your enemies, see the driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women ...", then, probably bullion.

Every purchase I make, every single penny I spend is carefully calculated and weighed against the various choices available, including the future potential values, the opportunity cost against other coins or bars as well as a range of other investment and saving opportunities. 

Well that’s what I tell the other half. 

In reality I just buy whatever the hell strikes my fancy with the budget available then worry about the rest later lol. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

6 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Every purchase I make, every single penny I spend is carefully calculated and weighed against the various choices available, including the future potential values, the opportunity cost against other coins or bars as well as a range of other investment and saving opportunities. 

Well that’s what I tell the other half. 

In reality I just buy whatever the hell strikes my fancy with the budget available then worry about the rest later lol. 

I’m glad you added the last part, you’ve gone up in my estimations.

Archived