• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advantages of this Slab vs. Non-Slab

999magnum

To me, MCM is a sell the sizzle not the steak kind of shop.  They (like GovMint) would send me all kinds of promo/marketing junk that up-sells basic products by wrapping it in some story (take a generic Morgan dollar and wrap it in a card that talks about the Wild West, bingo, a $100 coin!).  So it wouldn't surprise me if Agpanda is correct that the Gem BUs are just grading rejects.  But they could have some arrangement with NGC to bypass any normal grading (multiple graders looking at each coin to determine the exact grade) and just go straight to encapsulation with the more generic Gem Uncirculated label.  Much cheaper and quicker process.  But I'm just guessing.  Maybe I'll phone NGC on Monday and see if they'll give any more details.

I would almost never grade a modern Silver coin, I say almost, since the only reason I could see that would be worth it would be for authenticating a very rare coin or a coin that has been well copied (1983,4 and 5 Pandas spring to mind)

Grading a huge mintage modern coin is pointless, most newer ones should be ms69 minimum, grading rarer coins eg earlier Pandas, can be worthwhile if 1, you get a great grade and 2, your coin after been removed from the original packaging doesnt then start to tone or milkspot badly.

This is a risk I wouldnt take, there are lots of cases of Pandas removed from their OMP, exposed to air, graded, then put in to their none 100% air tight holders, that then start to tone or worse, triggering the milk spotting of coins.

I am sure this happens with other Silver coins also.

Gold on the other hand, no problem at all with these issues.

Cheers

9 hours ago, 999magnum said:

@Norskgeld thanks. That's an eye opener. Exactly what @Agpanda talked about.

Seems like @Numistacker was saying that his 1/10 Britannia was actually a 69 or 70 quality.  He didn't say he thought it was a reject, he said he was going to have it graded with a numeric grade at NGC.

Numistacker, did you regrade it?  If so, what grade did it get?

3 hours ago, 999magnum said:

I was speaking in the spirit of what he and others were talking about which was NGCs shady practices driven by greed. 

I look at it like this - ngc is a business that sells a service to a customer - the customer in this case MCM. If MCM wants to grade 1000 coins and accepts grades ms69 + ms70, then all the rest as gem uncirculated, there is no shady practice going on by ngc or MCM.  Ngc has performed a service - with no intent to deceive - ie the coins are graded and put into holders with those grades, then MCM will sell them to make as much money as possible.

Now, the issue is that you as the buyer have the responsibility to do your homework and figure out the best value for yourself. Some people only collect ms70, or ms69 of each issue, and MCM is making these coins available- at a price point- which you can accept and buy the coin or not. They also are making available  a slabed gem version of the coin at a slight premium over spot to collectors who like the fact it is in an ngc holder - which they can store neatly away, is easy to display, etc.

So, it all depends on what you want here- in my opinion - I would get one example in the ngc holder as my show piece and just buy loose coins for the rest as close to spot as possible.

Archived