• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold in coin sourcing?

Cornishfarmer

1)If I buy a gold panda is the gold Chinese, eagle (american) maple (Canadian) or go they buy in gold and melt down?

2) where is the gold for Brits from?

3) India is a huge consumer of gold for investment, why don't they mint coins in the same way as other countries do or do they have gold for wearing

The Indians have a long tradition of holding wealth as gold that goes back way longer than banks - 50% of Indians still don't have bank accounts and 90% of existing accounts are never used. They prefer to keep it about their person (usually the wife) as 24k jewellery. That is their isa and pension etc. I was at the Eurostar the other day in Paris and an Indian lady was behind me in the queue for the metal detectors. They made her take off her jewellery - which she was not happy about. Underneath that sari she was outdoing Mr. T. I've never seen such chunky chains.....

I remember that a old mint, royal mint in Bombay were producing sovs for the Indian market. I tried and failed to buy one of these coins while in India.

The Royal  Mint only produced sovs in Bombay for just one year, 1918. They made a total of 1,294,372. I'm not surprised you had difficulty finding any.

HOWEVER...The RM has in 2013 and 2014 produced special sovs that were for the first time in nearly a 100 years minted in India. So there are sovs with the "I" mint mark for 1918, 2013 and 2014. The newer ones are minted in Delhi. 

The Royal Mint only produced sovs in Bombay for just one year, 1918. They made a total of 1,294,372. I'm not surprised you had difficulty finding any.

HOWEVER...The RM has in 2013 and 2014 produced special sovs that were for the first time in nearly a 100 years minted in India. So there are sovs with the "I" mint mark for 1918, 2013 and 2014. The newer ones are minted in Delhi.

Who knows facts like that?.... I'm amazed by the knowledge of some people on here

Who knows facts like that?.... I'm amazed by the knowledge of some people on here

As much as I would like to take credit, and I do have a mind full of useless information, meaning that when it comes to pub quizzes I do very well. , I do have to confess, that I only know this info because I was looking into mint marks on sovs after I bought my Melbourne mint sov last week and during a google blitz the bombay mint came up. It sort of stuck in the mind as it was only one year, and I immediately thought. mmmmmmmmmmmm need to keep my eye open for that one. Did a bit more looking into the bombay mint and then found the newer ones from delhi.

All I can say is thank god for google.......... :D  

Archived