• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Wall Street crashing Gold most likely to go up

ilovesilverireallydo

I think lots of people here are smart and have seen it all before and are well established in their positions in various markets and areas. Slow and steady wins the day.

All the work is done well before any event, not during it.

5 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Coupled with the bitcoin crash, does this indicate the brown sticky stuff is about to impact the rotating ventilation device?

I dunno, Bitcoin has been in a state of steady deflation since late December. It's accelerated a little but has been on the way out for weeks.

First glance logic would suggest that a fall in Bitcoin and Stock Markets would be great news for Gold.

However, snapping at headlines these other factors are at play;

• Higher forecast interest rates in USA - higher dollar - no yield on Gold so downward pressure on price.
  • End of cheap money - too much debt so a portion of cash taken out of the markets will go to repay debt.
  • UK political news and Conservative implosion could be very bad for the value of the £ which will hold he price of Gold in £ up.

I read this very interesting article in the Guardian; https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/06/demand-for-gold-fell-last-year-despite-rise-in-industrial-use

Of great interest is that young Asian buyers like branded and well designed jewelry,  lower carat and with coloured stones (more consumer good that investment).

For all the "value" of bitcoin (&c.) would I be right in thinking that it is so difficult to get your money out, that people cling on to a falling market and that there is no underlying value so there will be very little % used to buy Gold.

Imo the BOE will not increase interest rates until mid year.  The fed did not increase last month, this makes me think there is something else happening, I thought the £ would go 1- 1.45 after the BOE meeting that's not going to happen now.  As for gold if you are buying for the long term every month then buy on the monthly dip. 

6 hours ago, Martlet said:

The reason for the fall is expected interest rate rises.  Thats probably not going to be positive for metals.

Interest rates rising are a sign of inflation, which is good for metals in a numerical currency price sense.

Also I’ll add that the market isn’t falling because of the expectation of higher rates, that’s the narrative that the media peddles.  The real reason is that people are waking up to the fact that everything is over priced because of the ultra low rates and massive liquidity that’s been pumped into the global financial system over the past 10 years.  Rates CAN’T actually rise back to normal levels, if they did the governments of the world would be insolvent and unable to service the debt.  The only option now is to inflate away the debt because massive taxation to lower the debt can’t be done without revolt.

On 2/6/2018 at 00:40, ilovesilverireallydo said:

stock market has massive panic, which usually leads to pms going up

Sounds good to me, I can use any excuse to buy gold I think :D

If I was being rational, I'd probably say any deep market drop/panic would see a spike in the dollar and drop in PMs first.  The best time to buy would be just before the Fed announces they're coming to the rescue (QEx or helicopter drops or whatever).   But I'm terrible at timing markets, so I just keep buying a bit here and there.

Archived