• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Magic Year When Tarnish is Good?

JohnA

What is that special decade when tarnish is a plus? 1950's, 40's, definitely by 30's. I remember I sold a 1945 Mercury Dime MS 64 that was very shiny with no tarnish and it sold fast. But I have an 1887 sixpence with no tarnish and I have to sell it as cleaned. 

I guess the difference is if it has been cleaned. Not sure if anyone could tell on my dime, since it was shiny as new bullion. A shiny dime from 1910 would definitely be suspect. And what if an 1800's coin was kept in a sealed container? How would we tell if cleaned very carefully with no hairline scratches or if original but shiny perfect. 

Also maybe in the 1800's and early 1900's it was customary for coin collectors to shine up their wares before taking them to sale or show their friends at a club or something. Was there a certain time that coin collectors decided that tarnish is good, we want them as is?

So this topic was today 

And I posted this comment also in a different post unrelated.

I have no problem with numismatic coins having toning at all.... I think the problem being referred to on the other thread is on modern collectable bullion that commands a premium.

I wouldn't immediately rule out non-tarnished coins of the 1800's as suspicious. It all depends on lustre

Here's one of my sixpences which has original lustre....

1881sixpence1.JPG.12c29a0e19e3608f0beb75059e541736.JPG

And here's one of my USA collection... now I suspect this has probably been cleaned even with tarnish, which is why I have been hesitant to send it for grading

IMG_5100.JPG.ec38312a7e966765181ed4e1c19a6734.JPG

Archived