• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed 1985 1oz silver PROOF Engelhard Prospector <500 mintage

Peacemaker

Extremely rare, 1985 1oz proof prospector, only 2 ever sold on eBay and the condition was not the best

Estimated no more than 500 made and is in the top tier on allengelhard

Looking for £900

20180127_113412.jpg

20180127_113352.jpg

20180127_113400.jpg

20180127_113403.jpg

20180127_113421.jpg

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

22 minutes ago, sixgun said:

not the same coin, the proof has mirrored background and matt details, that coin looks polished to a shine

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

that is the brilliant uncirculated variety 85k mintage, not sure if this is an attempt to make me look like a con or chancer,  i cant see why as we have dealt a few times with eachother before with no issues, in fact sold you 5 of the bunc rounds and the 82 was quite shiny. The proof finish is a different process.

The hunt is on!

9 minutes ago, DaveWheat89 said:

that is the brilliant uncirculated variety 85k mintage, not sure if this is an attempt to make me look like a con or chancer,  i cant see why as we have dealt a few times with eachother before with no issues, in fact sold you 5 of the bunc rounds and the 82 was quite shiny. The proof finish is a different process.

Yes Dave i have bought silver from you more than once. i have given you well deserved positive feedback. i have been happy with what i have got from you and would recommend you to others on the forum. i have no reason or motive for making you out to be a chancer. Why would you even mention this? It did not cross my mind you were a chancer. People here are very savvy - chancers do not do well on The Silver Forum.

i saw your advert - i saw the price. This made me think. i have never seen a Prospector at this sort of price before so i did a search and immediately came up with the link i posted. Now you say this ebay offering is a BU and you have a PF. Well that is useful information for any prospective Prospector buyer. i still see the price as very high and i am not sure this is the best venue to sell a very rare piece like this but it is your call.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Yes Engelhard did produce a 1985 Prospector in proof. There is more information here. i will say no more now. Read the forum.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/774217/1985-engelhard-1-ounce-silver-proof-prospector-round

13 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Yes Engelhard did produce a 1985 Prospector in proof. There is more information here. i will say no more now. Read the forum.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/774217/1985-engelhard-1-ounce-silver-proof-prospector-round

By this comment, am i right in thinking you dont believe it is the proof?

The hunt is on!

I'll just leave these pics here, gets no more proof than that, the right buyer would have game along and made an offer, with all this insinuating, going out of your way to void my sale, it's like posting a link to a bullion sov on a sale post of proof sov, it is clear this is not the right place to sell. 

20180127_134512.jpg

20180127_134514.jpg

20180127_134516.jpg

20180127_134522.jpg

The hunt is on!

43 minutes ago, DaveWheat89 said:

By this comment, am i right in thinking you dont believe it is the proof?

i do not believe for one second you are attempting to con The Silver Forum members. So let's put that one to bed.

The round has a proof finish - it is not a run of the mill round. It is a very fine specimen.

i have analysed the round you present here and the example on the forum - hence i say look at the forum and make up your own mind. However as you are pressing the point i will say what i find.

On the forum they point to 3 elements to look for.

1) A proof-like finish - well we have this in your specimen.

You will not be able to make a decision based on the finish - this will not convince someone, it could just be a shiny round.

2) The I in AMERICAN is a different font between proof and bullion versions. i cannot see an obvious difference between the forum version and the bullion, there could be slanted end to the I in the proof but i would need them side-by-side to say.

3) The waves in the water in front of the prospector.

The first photo is that of a bullion round. The second is the round on the forum which is said to be a proof.

Now there is an obvious difference - the waves are very prominent in the BU round whilst in the PF they are flattened. As it turns out the specimen you present has the flattened waves like the PF in the forum. These are my findings. "i will say no more now. Read the forum. "

66558_Obv.jpg

ep-proof.jpg

image.png.01ef057ebeff260025751b95be150258.png

From http://allengelhard.com/definitive-pages/engelhard-rounds/

All the known markers of this coin point it to be one of a very low mintage ultra rare Engelhard  round. However this is the kind of coin American collectors may appreciate the value of - there are many highend collectors on Reddit Silverbugs who may pay much closer to the asking price than here in my opinion. Allengelhard is curated and written by real fans of the brand and really know their stuff. Contacting them may also help verify and add to the sale value if you could get a "yes" from them. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

29 minutes ago, sixgun said:

You will not be able to make a decision based on the finish - this will not convince someone, it could just be a shiny round.

all points looked at and appreciated, but it is very easy to establish a proof and just a shiny coin, i cant see the difference in the letter "i" either, maybe side by side would determine, maybe the frosted lettering on the proof background affects the look.

The hunt is on!

3 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

image.png.01ef057ebeff260025751b95be150258.png

From http://allengelhard.com/definitive-pages/engelhard-rounds/

All the known markers of this coin point it to be one of a very low mintage ultra rare Engelhard  round. However this is the kind of coin American collectors may appreciate the value of - there are many highend collectors on Reddit Silverbugs who may pay much closer to the asking price than here in my opinion. Allengelhard is curated and written by real fans of the brand and really know their stuff. Contacting them may also help verify and add to the sale value if you could get a "yes" from them. 

appreciate this bud, i am well aware of allengelhard and they have used my photos on a couple of occasions for there difinitive page on johnson matthey bars.

The hunt is on!

1 minute ago, DaveWheat89 said:

appreciate this bud, i am well aware of allengelhard and they have used my photos on a couple of occasions for there difinitive page on johnson matthey bars.

If you want to really sell this piece for that high a price - I cant judge whether that is high or even low, knowing its mintage and the number of collectors, I still say drop it on PMsforsale on reddit, and then a post on /r/silverbugs. That would give you the highest chance of getting the coin in front of collectors. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Just now, ilovesilverireallydo said:

If you want to really sell this piece for that high a price - I cant judge whether that is high or even low, knowing its mintage and the number of collectors, I still say drop it on PMsforsale on reddit, and then a post on /r/silverbugs. That would give you the highest chance of getting the coin in front of collectors. 

to be honest bud, price is always negotiable, i tend to shoot high to drop at the right price, someone who really wants it will always make an offer, and its only worth what someone is willing to pay, i dont think the price was the issue with sixgun though

The hunt is on!

24 minutes ago, DaveWheat89 said:

to be honest bud, price is always negotiable, i tend to shoot high to drop at the right price, someone who really wants it will always make an offer, and its only worth what someone is willing to pay, i dont think the price was the issue with sixgun though

This is a point i made earlier - the price is very high and i do not think The Silver Forum is the place for a rare US specimen. If it were a rare sovereign perhaps but not a US round. As our colleague points out there are other places where people who appreciate these rare specimens can be found. Do not sell yourself short. If this round is worth £900 then make sure you get that sort of money. Good luck.

I'm a total novice where this coin is concerned. But this is my observation on the photos I can see a few differences one behind the sitting man the plant or tree is different the same part of the coin there appears that the bottom of the plant there's a gap on one and no gap on the other. And unsure but the dates and the USA look different? To me as said I know very little about the coin, to me there is a difference which I would check out more to make if mine to a layman it looks Proof?

28 minutes ago, gazer said:

I'm a total novice where this coin is concerned. But this is my observation on the photos I can see a few differences one behind the sitting man the plant or tree is different the same part of the coin there appears that the bottom of the plant there's a gap on one and no gap on the other. And unsure but the dates and the USA look different? To me as said I know very little about the coin, to me there is a difference which I would check out more to make if mine to a layman it looks Proof?

Yes there is no doubt from me that it is the proof, as you can tell there are many distinguishable differences between the bullion and proof versions

The hunt is on!

Archived