• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sand casting silver

mr-dead

Just wondering if anyone has tried sand casting silver?

You could quickly knock up some 3D printed designs and press them into the sand ready for the pour.

Just knocked up a mock 1kg silverforum bar with some added tabs on the rear to pull the mold out of the sand, made it over deep to make sure it will take 1kg of silver.

The below design would cost £36 to print out with shapeways online 3D printing service.

1.PNG

2.PNG

back.PNG

Sand casting big pieces like this is a very unique skill and pretty hard to be honest!

The results would look great on the detailed side but unlike a graphite mould the silver cools very very slowly. The end results are often very different to open cast graphite moulds. 

Also, you would have to press the delft clay every time as once it has been poured it is all burned and unusable.

But the results would certainly look pretty impressive if someone with experience and skill had a go!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

12 minutes ago, creative said:

What material do you print this in on a 3D printer?

Shapeways print in anything from plastic to castable wax, sandstone, aluminum, brass, silver, gold & platinum (precious metals are very expensive)

As you would only be using the mold to press the shape into the sand I assume you could just a plastic.

https://www.shapeways.com/materials

I have previously designed a gold plated brass coin for the Komodo cryptocurrency, had this one printed at shapeways -

(includes the octagonal KMD logo with a komodo climbing across it)

2imageproxy.php.jpg

When I was being taught to sand cast we started with aluminium and simple things like door numbers or names.  The finish was surprisingly good and only needed a quick sanding.  Of course you could then start to get into a fairly complex range of additives and sand types for better results.

Archived