• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do you safely store your stack?

Hello!

New member here, although I've been reading the forum for a couple months now. After seeing post after post of people adding to their stack of metals, something I have always been wondering, how do you safely store your stack? Do you all have a safe or hide your stash under your matres, let me know :D

Just curious, Cheers!

I have a safe, but when I buy my own house I will store my gold in a safe in the floor in a place known only by me, I will use a secondary safe not so well hidden with nothing in.

PROUD to be TRANSRACIAL.

Biology IS bigotry.

Coronavirus is made up and no-one has died from the imaginary virus.

Get an old Victorian safe (100-150 ebay) that takes 3 people to lift it before you put any silver in it. Then keep most of your stash under the floor boards or under your bed That way if the worst happens and you are forced to open the safe they only get a few bits and pieces 

one of the most ingenious ways of hiding gold I heard was from during WWII

As the Nazi's plundered their way across Europe, one chap who feared for his family safety, had his gold holdings & coins smelted down and re-cast into massive door hinges

He mounted them to various doors in his house and painted them black so they matched

After capture, house looting and time in camp, after the war he returned home safely and found all his gold still in tact all the while whilst hidden in plain site

3 hours ago, Paul said:

As the Nazi's plundered their way across Europe, one chap who feared for his family safety, had his gold holdings & coins smelted down and re-cast into massive door hinges

He mounted them to various doors in his house and painted them black so they matched

After capture, house looting and time in camp, after the war he returned home safely and found all his gold still in tact all the while whilst hidden in plain site

I heard this story as it was mentioned in a documentary a few years back. Ingenious way to hide it. :)

7 hours ago, Paul said:

That's genius! 

I currently don't store mine, i leave them out on my desk - my logic being that my room is filled with more expensive items to get distracted by.  

Smallest safe deposit box, will cost you around £150 per year

Gives peace of mine but like anything else dont have all your eggs in one basket (ie hatton garden safe deposit raid)

Can store a great deal of gold and also your USB's, paper work scans, harddrives, cold storage wallets, some spare cash, emergency rainy day credit card

13 hours ago, Paul said:

Smallest safe deposit box, will cost you around £150 per year

How small is it and where is it located? I have tons of silver that  need to get rid of.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here. I split my time between Florida and England.

So what is the best answer on storage then?

Has anyone managed to obtain fire and theft insurance to cover a substantial amount of silver held in the home or elsewhere?

Say in the region of GBP or USD 100,000 or upwards?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 03:58, Paul said:

What an awesome story!  Seriously genius!

I think it is good not to have all of your metals in the same place.  For example, while I have some metals at home, I vault a significant portion of my silver with an organization near me called the UPMA.  They have awesome security and insurance so I feel good about leaving some of my silver with them :) 

1 minute ago, BookBayJOHN said:

I have seen numerous videos showing safes being opened by the 'Bump' method, so I am keen to avoid the electronic safes. Any recommendations as to a decent key safe brand?

This is all new to me and I won't claim to have a Stack, more of a pile, but I could do with a safe anyway. 

Wait, I thought bumping was for mechanical keys?

16 minutes ago, BookBayJOHN said:

No. The opposite is correct. 

From what I have read and seen, striking the safe while turning the handle is enough.

Youtube has any number of videos showing how it’s done.  

Interesting. That said I first encountered bumping as a way to get past Yale locks:

Safes vary enormously as to how secure they are and what they are designed to protect against. Some safes are only designed to protect against a casual thief who might be burgling your house and wants to get out within minutes without fuss. Others will resist attacks from all but the most expert crackers, and some will even resist experienced crackers. You get what you pay for. If you want to store paper documents in the safe you need a fireproof one, and they are usually rated according to how many minutes of protection they give. You probably need 30 minutes. If you want to protect electronic devices such as USB storage drives, these are even more vulnerable than paper.

Many safes are officially graded by insurance companies as to how much insurance cover you can get with them. If you already have house contents insurance in place, you might want to check with the insurance company what makes and models of safe they recognise and choose one with an appropriate value. That said, you might prefer not to tell your insurance company at all: after all, do you trust all their employees? The fewer people who know, the better.

After a quick look at some UK websites, this one seems particularly good at providing information about the properties of its safes: (this is not a recommendation)   http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/

Alternatives to safes include various kinds of fake containers, e.g. electric wall sockets, cans, books, etc., although these are so common they probably won't fool a thief. You could also try creating an empty space, e.g. by adding a false bottom to a cupboard, preferably nailing it down after filling it. If you are worried about metal detectors, you might try getting some old metal piping and installing it near some existing pipes and placing coins in there.

I think people should think of safes as a means of causing a very short delay in a criminals activities, and as a magnet for their attention.  All they really do is slow criminals down for ... how long ?  Minutes, at most a few hours ?

Probably better, in general, to just put it somewhere (or multiple "somewheres") and keep your mouth shut about where that "somewhere" is.  It's a big world out there, criminals can't search the whole thing ...

Archived