• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Hammered coins

Ojay45

Those look very much like German States coins from the 1400-1500s. They are always just listed as "silver" in any catalog, but I have never been able to figure out exactly how much silver is in each coin (having a decent collection of 1600s German States coins). The condition yours are in is not pretty, but everything has some value. That you can still see the general detail is still better than some 1800s Great Britain pennies that I have been seeing lately. Someone else will be able to give you better information as my collection and knowledge has a gap between 300 to 1600; basically skipping the entire Middle Ages which is where I would place your coins. I would keep them if for nothing more than a research project one boring Sunday morning.

Afterthought: A jewelry store would have the equipment necessary to tell you exactly what metal content is in the coin. The coins are probably 1-1.5g each, but if they are 90% then you at least have £2 worth of centuries old junk silver on your hands.

Yeah thanks for the info,was quite surprise if from Germany,well I think the eBay listing was metal detector find and payed pretty much scrap didn’t think would be worth much in the state there in was about 10 grams i brought but I did lose one or two half’s.

I am fully wrong -- this is why you should wait until after your morning coffee to respond to anything.

I got the time period right, 1400s, but they are definitely English coins. While bearing an extremely similar look to German States coins at the time, Long Cross design on the reverse of the coin is definitely of English descent. The size and weight will tell you if they are pennies or half pennies (0.6g/15mm or 0.3g/12mm)  but being hammered and worn means the size and weight fluctuates significantly.

I have never read up so much on English coins from this era. Thank you @barney for the correction and thank you @Ojay45 for giving me something to do an a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

3 hours ago, barney said:

There English, all silver penny's two at the front left are both Edward III i think   Long cross one is Canterbury  and York Mint ,  the two  cut half's are Henry III long cross and the last  is too clipped and worn

Thanks for the info and I pass them down the line,seems a bargain for the history the coins are.

Thats no problem cacc it has been interesting and reading on this site can learn so much on one Sunday, you and me both ?

On 1/14/2018 at 16:44, Ojay45 said:

Thanks for the info and I pass them down the line,seems a bargain for the history the coins are.

Thats no problem cacc it has been interesting and reading on this site can learn so much on one Sunday, you and me both ?

In case it's helpful these look very much like a silver penny that I have that came with an informational booklet.  I've pasted photos of the coin and booklet below.  As was said earlier, these are not that valuable in terms of resale, but there is loads of history...

Longshanks1.JPG

Longshanks2.JPG

Longshanks3.JPG

Longshanks4.JPG

Longshanks5.JPG

You can see part of the edward on the bottom left one.  Afraid I don't know enough to tell an edward the 1st from a fourth or other king without looking them up and don't own any pennies from that time.  They didn't exactly have good likenesses back then. :)

On 15/01/2018 at 13:51, Lr103 said:

In case it's helpful these look very much like a silver penny that I have that came with an informational booklet.  I've pasted photos of the coin and booklet below.  As was said earlier, these are not that valuable in terms of resale, but there is loads of history...

Longshanks1.JPG

Longshanks2.JPG

Longshanks3.JPG

Longshanks4.JPG

Longshanks5.JPG

Very nice penny with great history to it, I may have to buy a decent one when have some spare money ? 

Archived