• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Beware of Large Gold Fake Coins on eBAY!

Beware of Large Gold Fake Coins on eBAY! | 1911 Five Sovereign Proof Fake arrived!

IMG_9340.JPG

IMG_9341.JPG

Compare this to Sovereign’s beautiful 1911 Proof Sovereign below

IMG_9447.JPG

Sorry to see this Numistacker.  Buying raw gold from ebay is really risky I think, but I guess everything is a risk, and at least the bigger sellers will take returns.  I think one reason I've been slabbing my gold is it will make reselling easier down the line.  Thanks for the youtube videos too, I blame you for my recent addiction to sovereigns :D

Sorry to see this Numistacker.  Buying raw gold from ebay is really risky I think, but I guess everything is a risk, and at least the bigger sellers will take returns.  I think one reason I've been slabbing my gold is it will make reselling easier down the line.  Thanks for the youtube videos too, I blame you for my recent addiction to sovereigns [emoji3]

Very happy to take the blame for your sovereign addiction [emoji18]

Glad you can sort it out - just shows the risks that ebay buyers are exposed to.  A salutary lesson for your fellow Forum members.

900 is 21.6 carat rather than 22; the only reason I know is I've just handled Mexican Pesos and they are 90% gold.

100% feedback is generally a great comfort, but far too many wideos on ebay with bad photographs, poor descriptions.  Sometime even those with good feedback take a chance that you'll be happy with what you get, not good enough.

Very time consuming and frustrating for those who could do something productive with their time.

Glad you can sort it out - just shows the risks that ebay buyers are exposed to.  A salutary lesson for your fellow Forum members.
900 is 21.6 carat rather than 22; the only reason I know is I've just handled Mexican Pesos and they are 90% gold.
100% feedback is generally a great comfort, but far too many wideos on ebay with bad photographs, poor descriptions.  Sometime even those with good feedback take a chance that you'll be happy with what you get, not good enough.
Very time consuming and frustrating for those who could do something productive with their time.

When I bought it I knew it was dodgy as the description was strange and the pics were bad.

IMG_9173.JPG

But it was New Year’s Eve and I thought that was the reason. I knew in 1911 they only made proofs of the 5 Sov. But on the other hand it was described as being Gold and was being sold by an Austrian Bullion dealer with a good track record and refund policy so I thought it was worth taking a chance and seeing for myself.

Hi Numistacker these things happen to the best of us and the worst case is its tied you money up for a couple of weeks waiting for a refund or a claim and ive never made a mistake ive never learned from. But i still think ebay is a good place to get a good deal (if you know what is real) And just to say Thank You for all the videos you and Backyard bullion helped me find the silver forum. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 09:39, Numistacker said:

When I bought it I knew it was dodgy as the description was strange and the pics were bad.

But it was New Year’s Eve and I thought that was the reason. I knew in 1911 they only made proofs of the 5 Sov. But on the other hand it was described as being Gold and was being sold by an Austrian Bullion dealer with a good track record and refund policy so I thought it was worth taking a chance and seeing for myself.

Fortune favours the brave and you had a solid plan b. 

Some of the best deals come from taking chances and I sure we all have some great examples!  If your not in it, you can't win it.

For those (including myself) less well immersed in the world of coins and stacking and those who don't research the seller then a little knowledge can be dangerous.  I am sure it is all about getting the balance right and taking calculated chances.

Archived