• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Visa shut down bitcoin debit cards

From what I understand, this happened because the card issuer, WaveCrest, broke Visa's rules and so Visa ordered them to withdraw all their cards. Unfortunately for Bitpay, their non-US customer cards are issued by WaveCrest, so this hit them. They will have to find another card provider. Bitpay in the USA was unaffected.

It was clear when this story emerged it was the provider, not Bitcoin, that was the target.  

I don't believe Visa (or Mastercard) see Bitcoin as a threat.  They make money from payment processing, £, $, BTC makes little difference to them, they still take their fees.  I'm increasingly of the opinion that banks and authorities, in the West at least, do not see cryptocurrency as the threat that people in the bubble want them to be.  We can deposit with ease, withdraw (though with problems in UK for some reason) and tax is covered in existing rules (though with questions from lack of test cases).  Primary business and source of revenue for banks comes from loans, overdrafts and mortgages, not transfer fees (which are 0 in UK and EU anyway), so why would they see crypto as any threat?  

45 minutes ago, Martlet said:

It was clear when this story emerged it was the provider, not Bitcoin, that was the target.  

I don't believe Visa (or Mastercard) see Bitcoin as a threat.  They make money from payment processing, £, $, BTC makes little difference to them, they still take their fees.  I'm increasingly of the opinion that banks and authorities, in the West at least, do not see cryptocurrency as the threat that people in the bubble want them to be.  We can deposit with ease, withdraw (though with problems in UK for some reason) and tax is covered in existing rules (though with questions from lack of test cases).  Primary business and source of revenue for banks comes from loans, overdrafts and mortgages, not transfer fees (which are 0 in UK and EU anyway), so why would they see crypto as any threat?  

When the BOE state they are looking into starting their own crypto and allow people to avoid retail banks completely it looks like they want in on it. I can see Visa and MasterCard launching their own very soon too.

We live in interesting times.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Archived