• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What do you think??

The black part looks like it was painted on by a child that just couldn't stay inside the lines. It is likely a real silver coin with real gold plating and real ruthenium painted on...but it probably only worth it's weight in silver and marketable as a damaged silver bullion coin.

3 minutes ago, Cacc said:

The black part looks like it was painted on by a child that just couldn't stay inside the lines. It is likely a real silver coin with real gold plating and real ruthenium painted on...but it probably only worth it's weight in silver and marketable as a damaged silver bullion coin.

the thing that gets me is the coa "200 or 500" only minted for me the price is a bit low for such a "rare" coin right? 

1 minute ago, Jordie said:

the thing that gets me is the coa "200 or 500" only minted for me the price is a bit low for such a "rare" coin right? 

They use the word "minted" wrong for the purpose of misleading buyers. The coin is not minted for them at all. They just take a regular minted bullion coin and plate/paint it and they only seem to do the damage to 500 of each coin. The link you provided doesn't have any information, but if you click on the Libertad one for example, this is what you will find:

" This coin has been finished to the highest standard: firstly plated in a thick and luxurious layer of 24KT gold, an expert craftsman has meticulously detailed the black using a deep black ink, before hand-engraving over the lettering to reveal the silver underneath. BOTH sides have been expertly plated and detailed. "

" Struck from 1 oz silver .999, the coin is FULLY plated 24KT gold and detailed with a deep black ink & hand-engraving. The Mexican Silver Libertad Coin is struck by the Mexican mint; the design has been carried out by a private mint in the UK. "

3 minutes ago, Cacc said:

They use the word "minted" wrong for the purpose of misleading buyers. The coin is not minted for them at all. They just take a regular minted bullion coin and plate/paint it and they only seem to do the damage to 500 of each coin. The link you provided doesn't have any information, but if you click on the Libertad one for example, this is what you will find:

" This coin has been finished to the highest standard: firstly plated in a thick and luxurious layer of 24KT gold, an expert craftsman has meticulously detailed the black using a deep black ink, before hand-engraving over the lettering to reveal the silver underneath. BOTH sides have been expertly plated and detailed. "

" Struck from 1 oz silver .999, the coin is FULLY plated 24KT gold and detailed with a deep black ink & hand-engraving. The Mexican Silver Libertad Coin is struck by the Mexican mint; the design has been carried out by a private mint in the UK. "

Basically it's a whole load of BS

4 minutes ago, Jordie said:

Basically it's a whole load of BS

It is still a 1oz fine silver coin, but it is not worth more than it's melt value and any premium that coin would eventually bring would be lost as it is just a damaged bullion coin.

19 minutes ago, Cacc said:

Does say black ruthenium which can be applied using an electroplating kit that you can buy on-line with the ruthenium solution.
I did a back of the envelope calculation - £1.50 of gold solution and 20 pence of ruthenium solution per coin.
However the kit might cost £700 but you could do endless electroplating with it.

Hmmm, fair play to the guy (or gal) he isn't exactly misleading anyone as to what it is. The only debateable part is the 500 Mintage which could be stated better.

The end work is about a 5/10 in appearance for me, but people are buying them. They're selling for £45..... is it worth his time for the £25-30 profit?

Looking at his feedback, people seem to be happy. Bizarre...

30 minutes ago, Jordie said:

Does anyone know if these look legit or just some t*sser trying to con people? Any ideas?

Link is below (other "coins" like it)

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-OZ-UK-999-SILVER-BRITANNIA-COIN-24CT-GOLD-BLACK-MIDNIGHT-DAWN-COLLECTION-/142600606334?_mwBanner=1 

Yes, i was about to echo exactly what @Cacc has said. These 3rd party treatments to official minted coins are not official releases. Anyone can apply treatments and market them, that's fine i guess if there is a market for that. Each to their own. They are not a con, as such, and there is def a market out there for these ruthenium/gilded/colourised mock ups. It happens to all the major coins - silver eagles, maples, philharmonics, libertads, somalian elephants, noahs arks etc etc. And many issuers doing it. But what i object to, and where lots of them skate on thin ice, is implying that 200 or 500 have been specially minted. That is misleading. They weren't minted that way. They are not rare either because of their unofficial status, even if there were only 10 done.

To be fair to these guys at least they say "the design has been carried out by a private mint in the UK". That's more up front than some i've seen in the past.

You would have no basis for reporting it, by the way. It is not a fake coin, and the description is clear, nor does it seem to be illegal for third party applications. It's common-place on all world bullion coins.

4 minutes ago, blackadder said:

They just need to change the word minted,implying it's an official item etc etc ;) As its not trying to fake anything.

It would still sell :D

Exactly. limited "production" would be my wording.

It makes me smile too at the "design has been carried out by a private mint in the UK". Translation= in my garage. Most likely. Good luck to him though, seriously, he's done a fairly decent job all round tbh. Lots at it, why not him too.

I think a bit harsh on the seller, as someone that has released limited edition pieces normally hand poured. I know the work gone into the design artwork case coa even the little shiny sticker. They have at least created a whole package and if its a one man band or fledgling company, I say well done. The quality isn't at a standard Id pay that price for but I like the presentation aspect. Just a different take on it... 

Silverstacking.co.uk 

@SilverStan i agree, good on him. He's producing something his buyers like. As i said earlier, i have no objections to his work at all. On the whole i think the only thing most people have been critical about in this thread is the use of "mintage" of 500 on the specifications card. Rightly so. Items like this cannot be using that term. They are not minted for issue that way. It's now an independent art piece. The reason we react strongly to that word on the card is because we were all beginners at one time, and these types of modified pieces can and do lead some people into assuming they are Royal mint approved issue.

27 minutes ago, SilverStan said:

Agreed. just a small asterix stating not official royal mint issue. Would probably suffice.

Yeah, that would be ideal. But you know, i do see his and others predicament with these art applications. How to make that clear (assuming hopefully they want to be) but at the same time not to have a negative effect, from their point of view. Because you can be certain some potential buyers would then wonder does that mean the coin underneath is not from the RM either.

As @blackadder said, a substitution everywhere of 'minted' with something else, and job done we're all happy, ....and they'll still sell. That would then bring an end to the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got himself stuck in a sticky bun.

Reminds me of the weird painted silver eagles I used to see at my LCS (which were in the scrap bin selling for spot).  But these are definitely better looking.  Not sure who's doing the plating(painting?), but once they get a bit better with their process, these would be a fun novelty to have a few (as long as the price doesn't get out of hand)

Yes - using the word "minted" is misleading and incorrect and should in my opinion be corrected.
These are common bullion coins that have been colorised by probably a private individual.
Coins can be painted using special paints or colour pens but these appear to have been electroplated using gold and black ruthenium.
They are modified from the original and not minted as such.
The seller might wish to use terminology like limited release or limited production.
If someone takes a coin into their garage and hammers a tiny image onto a coin they cannot then describe the coin as a rare limited privy coin with whatever design they selected.
Fair play to the 'entrepreneur' ?? BUT false advertising and a bit of a con using a slab and holographic sticker to make the coin look as if it comes from a Mint of sorts.

Archived