• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Canadian 5 kilo 150 anniversary coin

Ryland

I’m not sure if you guys know but every year for the past six years Canada has put out a 5 kilo silver coin.  All the designs have been Indian themes until this year, for 2017 it is a special 150th anniversary of Canada theme kind of like a mural.  It shows an idealistic view of Canada as it exists today and the picture of it are stunning.  I’ve always wanted to buy one of these five kilo coins but either didn’t like the design or they were sold out.  I finally bought this one and will receive it in January!  They only mint 100 so I’m happy to get one.  My question to you all is will this go up in value in the short, medium and long term.  I almost don’t care because this is something that I will never sell unless I was starving and homeless but I just want to see what your opinions are.

i see the coin is 97% sold. It is a big price, almost 3x spot price. The scene is good looking. For me i would not get it even if i had the cash spare b/c of the history of milk spotting with Royal Canadian Mint coins. 

i can see prices of 16 500€ down to 7 660€ for this type of coin. Be sure you would never have to sell it in a hurry. If for example you tried to sell it here you would struggle b/c of the big price ticket and huge premium over the value of the silver. You would have to be very patient to get a return. You would have to sell it privately rather than to a dealer who would try to fleece you by paying spot price. There are pitfalls to these big coins but you might be aware of a strong aftermarket.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 minute ago, sixgun said:

i see the coin is 97% sold. It is a big price, almost 3x spot price. The scene is good looking. For me i would not get it even if i had the cash spare b/c of the history of milk spotting with Royal Canadian Mint coins. 

i can see prices of 16 500€ down to 7 660€ for this type of coin. Be sure you would never have to sell it in a hurry. If for example you tried to sell it here you would struggle b/c of the big price ticket and huge premium over the value of the silver. You would have to be very patient to get a return. You would have to sell it privately rather than to a dealer who would try to fleece you by paying spot price. There are pitfalls to these big coins but you might be aware of a strong aftermarket.

That is a great point, I never buy any collector coin with the thought of selling in a hurry.  I realize that as you go up the quality/luxury latter your liquidity takes a hit.  I have plenty of bullion to sell if I ever needed liquid money at spot.

5 hours ago, sixgun said:

If you are going to mega go with the lowest premium over spot guys. That would be gold not spotty silver.

RCM knows how to make a big damn coin! In the Royal Ontario Museum they still have the $1,000,000 gold coin that the Royal Canadian Mint made that is 100kg of .9999 fine gold. That being said, 5kg of silver at today's prices is only $3486.35 which is a far cry from the $10,699.95 that they are charging. Then again, most collector coins from the RCM are about 3x their actual weight value and they just kept that same percentage for a larger coin too. For examples, just click "silver" at the top of the RCM link above. The first coin is a 1oz Mickey Mouse coin for $119.95 while 1oz of silver is only $21.69 right now. I understand they have to pay Disney a royalty, but that is just insanity!

Archived