• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

U.K. Isaac Newton Gold Proof - good buy or no?

buckeyecoins

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just mvho:

2) less half a troy ounce of 22 carat gold for £750 in a coin no one seems to be interested in? No way!

If you really want to have it, resellers often seem to have these numerous Royal Mint 'commemoratives' (via ebay etc) at far less than the original price.

I hope I haven't seemed to be rude at all :) I bought some useless Royal Mint stuff when I just started out and that was in sterling silver, I dread to think of anyone buying gold issues like this and expecting they will ever hold their supposed value :o

18 minutes ago, buckeyecoins said:

I was thinking about picking up one of the 2017 U.K. Isaac Newton gold proofs from the Royal Mint:

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/u/uk17ingp

1. Is this a good price, or does anyone know where I could find it cheaper?

2. Will this hold its value or probably not?

Thanks all!

1) no

2) no

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

11 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I think we should probably take that as a 'no' from you then?

1. Is this a good price, or does anyone know where I could find it cheaper? ...............NO , NOT A GOOD PRICE 

2. Will this hold its value or probably not........................ NO , WONT HOLD VALUE 

2 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

1. Is this a good price, or does anyone know where I could find it cheaper? ...............NO , NOT A GOOD PRICE 

2. Will this hold its value or probably not........................ NO , WONT HOLD VALUE 

NO NEED TO SHOUT MY EYES AREN'T DEAF!!!

(Is that still a 'no' then? :P)

5 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

Thanks guys, saved me from making another bad decision.  

12 minutes ago, kimchi said:

NO NEED TO SHOUT MY EYES AREN'T DEAF!!!

(Is that still a 'no' then? :P)

No :ph34r: 

sometimes people only need simple answers 

yesterday night 12.30 am ish when I was buying take away a stranger suddenly ask me : a girl just call me do I go to meet her in her house ... he can't make up his mind 

I ask have u got a girl friend 

Are u married 

is she ugly 

are u gay 

.... he answer no no no 

and I said here u go then :D 

5 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

No :ph34r: 

sometimes people only need simple answers 

yesterday night 12.30 am ish when I was buying take away a stranger suddenly ask me : a girl just call me do I go to meet her in her house ... he can't make up his mind 

I ask have u got a girl friend 

Are u married 

is she ugly 

are u gay 

.... he answer no no no 

and I said here u go then :D 

Oh blimey you didn't read the newspapers today did you? :o

Don't go down the collecting route until you have amassed a few hundred Oz ag and a few Oz of au, then spend  as you please... on what you please... if this makes you happy go for it. 

I amassed a core position then went off into a flight of fancy buying all sorts of lovely coins... they more interesting than plain bullion coins. This approach keeps me interested in the PM's.

My instincts tell me do not buy the coin from the Royal Mint and do not buy this coin ever.

i can see this coin selling for spot in the future. This is the fate of many special commemorative coins. i cannot see why it would be collected so you are left with the gold.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Thanks all for the advice - I'll be passing on this coin.  I am a scientist so it does appeal to me in that regard.  It also has a pretty low mintage, but I have found that doesn't always make it collectible or desirable. 

Of course because I didn't buy the coin it will be worth double within a year.   

1 minute ago, buckeyecoins said:

If gold more than doubles then it will double. There will be better investments. Keep following the comments in the gold section of the forum or look out for good deals in the selling section.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

11 minutes ago, buckeyecoins said:

Thanks all for the advice - I'll be passing on this coin.  I am a scientist so it does appeal to me in that regard.  It also has a pretty low mintage, but I have found that doesn't always make it collectible or desirable. 

@sixgun is correct it will only be worth spot, so it will only double if gold doubles, and if that happens you'd wish you'd bought more gold for the same money.

Such a low mintage and it's still available at the RM - shows little to no interest in this coin whatsoever. Look at coins like the King Canute Silver Proof at ten+ times the mintage. That commemorative (and it too is a very nice coin indeed imo) sold out at the Mint yet look at ebay and it can be had for 1/3 to 1/2 of the price it was bought for. OK the premium was much higher on the silver coins (the Sapphire Jubilee is just another example of so many of these commemorative type coins) but you get the general picture.

I'd say wait and get it for around spot price, but unlike most of the other overpriced commemoratives it doesn't look like this has sold enough to have much of a secondary market.

If you really love the coin (and it does have personal interest for you) how about just checking your change for the regular 50p version? I have one somewhere I think - a bit battered as it's circulated - but if after a few months of checking your change you still don't have one PM me and I'll dig it out for you :)

38 minutes ago, kimchi said:

If you really love the coin (and it does have personal interest for you) how about just checking your change for the regular 50p version? I have one somewhere I think - a bit battered as it's circulated - but if after a few months of checking your change you still don't have one PM me and I'll dig it out for you :)

Highly doubt it will ever show up in my change, as I'm from the U.S. :-)

I believe they also produce a silver proof version.  Would that be a better buy in your opinion, or stay away from that too?

37 minutes ago, buckeyecoins said:

I believe they also produce a silver proof version.  Would that be a better buy in your opinion, or stay away from that too?

Silver proof buy it from eBay second hand at 2018 you should get decent discount 

only a few50 p worth money but two pound silver proof  is different stories they do go up in value or hold it's value from year  2011 ish 

18 minutes ago, buckeyecoins said:

I don't see the silver proof in stock on the RM website, only the silver proof Piedfort (twice the thickness/amount of sterling silver as you probably know) for £95. That's a relatively good deal I think because I would guess the 8g was at least £65 for half the silver (I stress relatively because in no way do any of these represent good investment purchases). At 16g (the Piedfort) you're looking at an £85+ premium. % wise that's far worse than the gold, but money wise your total loss is less if you feel you really must have this coin. 3000 mintage and still not sold out - not looking great imo on this one either. It depends if you are looking for an investment/store of wealth 'with benefits' (of some enjoyment before you might need to cash in) or if you are perhaps happy to see it as a treat to yourself - at that price it's equivalent to a night out and a taxi home here, but I think you must accept that it is probably money lost and not see it as any kind of investment. If a nice trinket that will only bring you pleasure and you can afford and justify the price is what you are after then I wouldn't argue against it - it's up to you!

I do find it 'interesting' that at 3000 mintage it's still available, whereas the King Canute (e.g) I mentioned was more iirc but sold out at the Mint more quickly, and as I say is selling for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost on ebay uk. I bought the Canute before I joined here and wised up and while I love the coin (I think it's a stunner) when I think about how much I paid for it (just over £80 I think) I have to slap myself and put the coin away and try to pretend it doesn't exist. You may well be richer than me and not care about things, so it's horses for courses :)

I'll check my change and if I get a double you can have my battered Isaac Newton for cost + postage if you like (and I can find it!). However have you considered the BUNC at all? I would have thought that ticks most of your boxes and it's 'just' £10 from Royal Mint:

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/u/uk17inbu

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

I don't see the silver proof in stock on the RM website, only the silver proof Piedfort (twice the thickness/amount of sterling silver as you probably know) for £95. That's a relatively good deal I think because I would guess the 8g was at least £65 for half the silver (I stress relatively because in no way do any of these represent good investment purchases). At 16g (the Piedfort) you're looking at an £85+ premium. % wise that's far worse than the gold, but money wise your total loss is less if you feel you really must have this coin. 3000 mintage and still not sold out - not looking great imo on this one either. It depends if you are looking for an investment/store of wealth 'with benefits' (of some enjoyment before you might need to cash in) or if you are perhaps happy to see it as a treat to yourself - at that price it's equivalent to a night out and a taxi home here, but I think you must accept that it is probably money lost and not see it as any kind of investment. If a nice trinket that will only bring you pleasure and you can afford and justify the price is what you are after then I wouldn't argue against it - it's up to you!

I do find it 'interesting' that at 3000 mintage it's still available, whereas the King Canute (e.g) I mentioned was more iirc but sold out at the Mint more quickly, and as I say is selling for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost on ebay uk. I bought the Canute before I joined here and wised up and while I love the coin (I think it's a stunner) when I think about how much I paid for it (just over £80 I think) I have to slap myself and put the coin away and try to pretend it doesn't exist. You may well be richer than me and not care about things, so it's horses for courses :)

I'll check my change and if I get a double you can have my battered Isaac Newton for cost + postage if you like (and I can find it!). However have you considered the BUNC at all? I would have thought that ticks most of your boxes and it's 'just' £10 from Royal Mint:

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/u/uk17inbu

Don't get too  put off by the king canute coin , ok I am good , let's do a deal 

25 quid delivered ok 

" I mean u pay me 25 " for the space :D

2 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

Don't get too  put off by the king canute coin , ok I am good , let's do a deal 

25 quid delivered ok 

" I mean u pay me 25 " for the space :D

You are always so kind and offering me great deals, I have no idea why I never take you up on them :P

8 minutes ago, CarlosSilver said:

In my opinion it's by far the nicest 50p the royal mint have produced.

Would I pay £775 for a gold one? Not a chance. 

It's a great 50p indeed! To think that those of us in the UK (generally) don't even check our change at the shop and miss great coins like this is pretty crazy!

I think the BUNC at £10 is a decent deal for @buckeyecoins to possibly dip their toe in the water and see what they think.

Hey guys I’m new to the forum and somewhat new to numismatics but to me it’s a beautiful coin with a low mintage.  Sure it has zero momentum now but does it ever happen that in the future things are valued that were once pushed away?  Btw I’m in the US so the coin to me has kind of a foreign uniqueness to it.  I’d say if the original poster is a scientist and loves the design then go for it, I did a quick check and I didn’t see it cheaper anywhere than at the mint.

Archived