• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello to all!

richatthecroft

Hi everyone.  I stumbled upon this wonderful site yesterday evening and I'm so pleased I did so.  I have only being investing money for around 3 years, chiefly stocks & shares and mostly AIM shares and have had a variety of results, not all favourable!  I've decided to diversify further, I bought a couple of paintings recently as they are much more pleasing on the eye than watching flashing figures on a computer screen! and it reminded me of the fun I used to have of collecting/dealing art deco pottery around 30 years ago.  I had being thinking about purchasing Gold and Silver for a while and took an (impulsive) plunge yesterday evening!  My plan was to buy silver bars and gold coins and plan to budget around £120 a month.  

I can't wait for my first purchases to arrive.  Rather impulsively I have bought 5x 1oz Johnson Matthey bars and a 100g Scottsdale poured bar, so over budget already in month one! Bought on FleaBay (I'm old enough and daft enough to know the risks) and paid a tad over £18 an ounce for the lot including postage.  When I found this forum, wish I had waited as there appears to be some great deals to be had from the community, but I don't think I have faired too badly on my rather impulsive purchases! 

I have an overall plan of retirement saving, I'm around 20 years from retirement.  Any advice/ tips always welcome.  Nice to meet you all.  Richard

@richatthecroft welcome to the forum.

I organise a group buy from europe (where you can get much much cheaper silver) 

And if you wanted some proper 100g bars then give me a shout for some of the silver forum branded ones!

_DSC0221 (2).JPG

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Thanks for the warm welcome.

@BackyardBullion I shall take a look at the Belgium site, looks like a great buying opportunity moreover,  I'm very interested in the forum branded 'proper' bars, but having also seen your shop, there's lots of goodies I'd like to get my hands on, decisions, decisions...

Just now, richatthecroft said:

Thanks for the warm welcome.

@BackyardBullion I shall take a look at the Belgium site, looks like a great buying opportunity moreover,  I'm very interested in the forum branded 'proper' bars, but having also seen your shop, there's lots of goodies I'd like to get my hands on, decisions, decisions...

Well just give me a shout when ready - if you go through the website make sure to use my giveaway code for a 10% discount which will also get you entered into a prize draw in December!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Thanks again for the warm welcome.  Now received my first shipments from the eBay sellers I bought from: 5x 1oz Johnson Matthey bars and a 100g Scottsdale poured bar, nice!  

So, I have begun my silver bar collecting journey and I don't regret it one bit.  After lots of reading I will continue with the strategy of silver bars as near to spot as possible as well as buying some interesting bars for aesthetics/interest,  and decided to concentrate on poured silver wherever possible.  Also plan to buy gold coins, probably Sovereigns and/or Krugerrand's.

I've taken a lot of time to read through so many threads that are both enlightening and informative, thank you all.  I am having to be disciplined in my buying approach as there are so many tempting buying opportunities on the forum and could have bought hundreds of pounds worth of silver already!   But I have decided to try and stick to my plan of growing my holding between £120- £150 per month, as I am already committed to reduce my mortgage, and I am still invested quite heavily in shares- not an easy thing to get out of/ change plan mid way through a strategy I have in place and notwithstanding current paper losses!  Also, the bank of Mum & Dad remains firmly open for business, and having three boys one in higher education and two on the cusp of deciding if they are going to university, unfortunately, the bank feels quite a bit of pressure now and then!

Archived