• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum Wedding Anniversary SOTD Sovereign

westminstrel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Looks like the Sapphire Jubilee and this one are exactly the same. How on earth would people differentiate between the two? 

How would you tell the difference indeed!

Not even a privy mark or anything! 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I’m just wondering... has 2017 been the year with the most variations of the Sovereign in the history of the Sovereign? :D

1. Garter design (Proof)

2. Garter design SOTD (Brilliant Uncirculated)

3. Regular design with Shield Privy (Bullion)

4. Regular design Sapphire Jubilee SOTD (Brilliant Uncirculated)

5. Regular design Platinum Anniversary SOTD (Brilliant Uncirculated)

It’s not er fault she got married when she did now is it? Steady with the wailing. Nor that it was the 200th anniversary of the garter sov....and when you look at sovs with different mints, styles, die numbers, variations that people love to collect and demand serious figures 80-200 years later, who are you lot to say ? ;)

As it has been pointed out though, how do you tell the difference?

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I’m just wondering... has 2017 been the year with the most variations of the Sovereign in the history of the Sovereign? :D

1. Garter design (Proof)

Seems like you missed out the Piedfort and 5 sov BU so that makes it 7 and if you include the half, quarter and double proofs that will add up to 10....

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

Wow, way to screw over the customers who bought the sapphire Jubilee sovereign earlier this year :| I would be spitting feathers if I had bought one, doubled the mintage!

They should have done it in a one off platinum instead of gold, that would have been very nice, but alas no.. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

3 minutes ago, Kman said:

Wow, way to screw over the customers who bought the sapphire Jubilee sovereign earlier this year :| I would be spitting feathers if I had bought one, doubled the mintage!

They should have done it in a one off platinum instead of gold, that would have been very nice, but alas no.. 

That would be sick! A sovereign made in platinum! Definitely going to sell much better than any sovereigns they offered in 2017! Seems like you have just gave them another idea to milk us further :ph34r:

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

6 minutes ago, HyHy said:

Seems like you missed out the Piedfort and 5 sov BU so that makes it 7 and if you include the half, quarter and double proofs that will add up to 10....

I didn’t count those deliberately as I was really only accounting for the good ol’ Sovereign.

But yeah, if you take all posssible variations of weights into account, you end up with 12 actually - the 5 I mentioned originally, plus:

6. Regular design Half Sovereign with Shield Privy (Bullion)

7. Garter design Quarter Sovereign (Proof)

8. Garter design Half Sovereign (Proof)

9.  Garter design Double Sovereign (Proof)

10. Garter design Five Sovereign (Proof)

11. Garter design Five Sovereign (Brilliant Uncirculated)

12. Garter design Piedfort Sovereign (Proof)

21 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

1. Garter design (Proof)

4+5 are the same, but it still makes 5 with the Indian sovereign :D 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

7 minutes ago, Kman said:

4+5 are the same, but it still makes 5 with the Indian sovereign :D 

Haha thanks for reminding me about the Indian Sovereign.

So it’s either 12 or 13 in total, depending on whether you count the Sapphire and Platinum Jubilee Sovereigns as the same or different.

In a normal (i.e., sane) year, there’d typically be 8 variations (the 5 Proofs, 2 Bullions, and 1 Brilliant Uncirculated).

So 2017 has had about 4 (or 5) too many.

:o

Amazing! After missing the Sapphire Jubilee SotD, I immediately ordered this one.

I hope this is now the end of the 2017 hype, and that in 2018 we won't see as many as in 2017. The proof plus full and half bullion would suffice. Otherwise I'd have to cut my spending on all the older sovereigns on my wish list.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Looks like the Sapphire Jubilee and this one are exactly the same. How on earth would people differentiate between the two? 

Only with the certificate. Anyone considering grading this coin:

You must send the original unopened packaging to NGC in order to receive a label stating that it is the Saphire Jubilee SOTD. Otherwise you will only receive a label designating as a 2017 BU sovereign.

Only with the risk of grading a lemon can you get a designated label. Otherwise only the certificate would identify the coin as what it is. 

33 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

:o

Amazing! After missing the Sapphire Jubilee SotD, I immediately ordered this one.

I hope this is now the end of the 2017 hype, and that in 2018 we won't see as many as in 2017. The proof plus full and half bullion would suffice. Otherwise I'd have to cut my spending on all the older sovereigns on my wish list.

There will almost certainly be an SOTD for the Coronation Anniversary.

Goodness.  There are still 51 Sleeps till 2018 - what next?

I noticed for the Sapphire Jubilee SotD Sovereign there was added value;  "Every coin from The Queen’s Sapphire Jubilee range, purchased direct from The Royal Mint before 28 February 2017, comes with a voucher for 25% off admission to Westminster Abbey, where The Queen was crowned on 2 June 1953." 

Quite a lot to take in this week when considering what to buy in 2018.

I wonder what Duncan Bannatyne would say?

This BS has left me gutted & sad..

My 2017 Sapphire Jubilee SotD - purchased primarily because of the date (proximity to birth of son) is now no longer distinguishable as such AND as purchased open on the aftermarket - no longer gradable!

The bullion Sovereigns in a years time are likely to be £440 to £460 after a $ to £ correction and the proof at £500 should always be saleable for £350 to 400 baseline so has more potential downside but could sell for £600 conceivably as well so you pays your money and takes your choice.

1 hour ago, Xander said:

The question is this, is it worth £500, or would I be better off buying two bullion Sovereigns?

Probably better a 2002 or 2005 full proof, I don't think they have any downside, only seem to be creeping up year by year

Archived