• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ping Test

royalecraig

Hi

New to stacking and learning how to test bulliion coins.

I was using the magnet, weight and ping tests.

My son has perfect pitch and was able to differentiate between coins.

I don't have any fake coins to test with, where can I buy fake coins from.

For those of us not gifted with perfect pitch, there are pitch apps used for instrument tuning on the app store.

I only have britannias and eagles to test against.

Can anyone confirm whether using these tools would be a valuable test to spot fakes.

You can also buy hardware that guitarists use for tuning.

Anyone ever used one to test the resonant frequency of bullion

Regards

Adrian

4 minutes ago, royalecraig said:

For those of us not gifted with perfect pitch, there are pitch apps used for instrument tuning on the app store.

Ebay or direct from China (AliExpress.com)

Someone on here was talking about an app for measuring the pitch profile of coins.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

47 minutes ago, royalecraig said:

you don't need fakes. use a 2p, 10p and pretend that

that someone is trying to pass those off as silver

coins. the coin itself should not matter in a ping test,

just it's uniformity and metal content should show up.

HH

I started studying the ping test as a coin fingerprint technique and made good progress but as it became too time consuming I abandoned further work.

I published some results somewhere on this forum and described the technique.

I recorded the "ping" on my PC or MAC and used a free musician's software called Audacity to run a spectrum analysis.
The resonant frequencies were unique for a particular coin.

It's not like all silver coins produce the same pitch when pinged - different silver coins will ping differently depending on its dimensions. But if you know how a genuine coin X sounds, then its easer to spot a fake.

There are tuning apps musicians use to tune guitars and piano etc.

Freely available on the app stores

These apps might be a good test for Bullion coins.

For example, My Britannia pings at C

My Eagle at G#

These apps Might be a good test for spotting a fake among a collection.

Archived