• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queens Beast Unicorn one ounce gold proof mintage?

Sal

On the royal mint homepage they list the mintage of the one ounce gold Unicorn proof at 400 but when you go into the coin specifications they 475 as max mintage. Any clue why the discrepancy? Seems this is the only series Queens beast gold proof that is a head scratcher. Thanks for anyone that can come up with a answer.

22 minutes ago, Sal said:

On the royal mint homepage they list the mintage of the one ounce gold Unicorn proof at 400 but when you go into the coin specifications they 475 as max mintage. Any clue why the discrepancy? Seems this is the only series Queens beast gold proof that is a head scratcher. Thanks for anyone that can come up with a answer.

The 400 is the presentation with Royal Mint packaging. The remaining go to places like MCM that get them graded and sell without the original packaging.  

1 minute ago, Lr103 said:

The 400 is the presentation with Royal Mint packaging. The remaining go to places like MCM that get them graded and sell without the original packaging.  

Curious that it seems to be the only series the mint did that for.

Just now, Sal said:

Curious that it seems to be the only series the mint did that for.

I'm not familiar with all RM issues, but this is the case with the Britannia as well.  For example, the 5 oz silver 2017 Britannia has the limited edition presentation of 1,500 (the black 5oz display and COA etc), but a max mintage of 1,600.  I know this is another coin MCM is selling graded without OGP. 

APMEX also sold some of the QB gold 1 oz without OGP, but they have sold out (raw coin, but no wood display).  I asked my rep about this, and was told that many customers complain about storing all of the extra stuff or think it's wasteful, and just want the coin. I asked if this means they could sell me the OGP (I prefer having it all together, and have one from MCM that is slab only), and was told no because the mint just sends them the coin and COA. This would be another example of the mintage above and beyond the special presentation mintage. 

1 minute ago, Sal said:

I haven't seen anyone sell the 2017  unicorn one ounce gold proof slabbed or without the mint presentation stuff.

MCM sold two versions. Their eBay sales channel sold a purple label early releases exactly like the lions currently still on eBay and for the same price. However, there were only a few and they sold out quickly, possibly because the unicorn mintage lower than the lion, or maybe they just bought less. 

MCM also did a first strike 1 oz gold unicorn that has the same Buckingham palace label as the silver 1 oz unicorns still for sale on their site. These were only for sale through their rare & unique sales channel, which for whatever reason does not show their offerings online. 

I was keeping a eye on the stock of the Unicorn inventory at JM Bullion and it was slowly trending down over the past few weeks to about 11 two days ago. I was going to pull the trigger and buy them all but hesitated while I  waited  on the results of a stock market trade. Well I checked today and all 11 gone. Apmex is out as well. I found it interesting the issue price of the Unicorn wasn't a bit higher than the other proofs in the series considering the mintage #'s. That was one of my reasons to load up on the unicorns. Guess I will be happy with the four I have but pulling the trigger on a purchase of over 20k US dollars had me second guessing myself. 

3 hours ago, Sal said:

I was keeping a eye on the stock of the Unicorn inventory at JM Bullion and it was slowly trending down over the past few weeks to about 11 two days ago. I was going to pull the trigger and buy them all but hesitated while I  waited  on the results of a stock market trade. Well I checked today and all 11 gone. Apmex is out as well. I found it interesting the issue price of the Unicorn wasn't a bit higher than the other proofs in the series considering the mintage #'s. That was one of my reasons to load up on the unicorns. Guess I will be happy with the four I have but pulling the trigger on a purchase of over 20k US dollars had me second guessing myself. 

The APMEX price was not very attractive ($3,500). However, if you look now the Royal Mint is showing a few available for £1,825. 

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/u/uk17qugp

Archived