• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Displaying silver collection in a glass cabinet

PolarPanda

Hi all, 

I have a question regarding the displaying of my silver (and gold) coin collection. I like to be able to have a look at the nicest parts of my collection, so i'm displaying them in a glass cabinet. All the coins stay in their (original) capsule and / or (collectors) box. Could this be an issue? Is it in some way better to keep the coins in the dark or doesn't this affect the impact from the environment on the coin? I would like to hear your toughts about it and how you guys display your collection! 

Thank you! 

My issue would be if you were burgled. You could always get them back from the local pawn shop i guess. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 minutes ago, sixgun said:

My issue would be if you were burgled. You could always get them back from the local pawn shop i guess. 

I don't buy nice collector's sets to hide them away in a dark safe. I invest my money in nice coins so i could enjoy them. Besides this only a few peoples now about my collection and the room where the cabinet is in is very secure and on the upper floor. Also this is not really a comment that helps me with the question asked ;) 

4 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Avoid any kind of plastics that contain chlorine, especially PVC, silver chloride is very light sensitive.

Do some flips contain PVC? I've got a load of coins in caps and flips from STG, perhaps I need to ditch the flips?

21 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

collector box or packs often have glue so beware 

I don't see how that could affect the coins? They are in between the 'fleece' and protected by a capsule. Or am i saying something completely stupid now and not getting the point? I will give an example. I keep all my lunar years in the boxes from Meinemuenzbox. Does that mean it would be better to take them out? Or what you want to say exactly? Same goes for like the Libertad premium set that comes in a wooden case. 

4 minutes ago, PolarPanda said:

I don't see how that could affect the coins? They are in between the 'fleece' and protected by a capsule. Or am i saying something completely stupid now and not getting the point? 

a few years not a problem, 5 years start to have problem , 10 years ur coins start to get marks , 25 years clouded , 35 years fully clouded , 45 years MAYBE damaged green 

because the gule will become gas form and leak through the gaps 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

2 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

a few years not a problem, 5 years start to have problem , 10 years ur coins start to get marks , 25 years clouded , 35 years fully clouded , 45 years MAYBE damaged green 

because the gule will become gas form and leak through the gaps 

So what is according to you the best way then to keep coins for a longer period? 

Just now, PolarPanda said:

So what is according to you the best way then to keep coins for a longer period? 

for cabinet , best to be capsules only and then a little camphor at the corner , four corners if u like , no box or those packets 

Gold is inert so will not tarnish at all.
Silver will gradually blacken over the years if exposed to sulphur i.e. cigarette smoke or open fire, otherwise should be unaffected.
Finger marks are the worst so avoid handling and if dusting, don't pick up unless wearing clean gloves.

Thank you all for your reactions so far. And what about slabbed coins? Can i just leave them on the shelve from my cabinet or do i have to put them in like an SL50 box from Leuchtturm? It's so hard on finding an option that you can at one side enjoy your coins and on the other side protect them good... 

3 hours ago, kimchi said:

Do some flips contain PVC? I've got a load of coins in caps and flips from STG, perhaps I need to ditch the flips?

Pre 1980s most coin flips were PVC based. The PVC alone was not the major issue, it was the type of chemical ( hydrogen chloride) added to soften the PVC that was the real killer. With a combination of moisture/humidity as well as potentially large fluctuations in the ambient temperature, along with direct sunlight,  a lot of coins started to mark. Most striking is a green almost oxidization gunk that can affect the coin.

Today however most flips from the likes of Lighthouse, Saflip etc are Maylar based and these are safe to use. Some people maintain that even Maylar should not be seen as a long term storage solution, but there is no indicative proof to this position. Converse to this,  Saflips has been endorsed by NGC for the purpose of grading, and are also used by a number of coin museums/collections for their storage needs

5 hours ago, ArthGoch said:

The PVC alone was not the major issue, it was the type of chemical ( hydrogen chloride) added to soften the PVC that was the real killer.

really, i'm surprised? plain old hydrochloric acid? it is either a gas in it's pure form or dissolved in water.

It would be used in the synthesis the PVC but I would imagine any excess would be washed away or dried off.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 24/10/2017 at 22:40, sovereignsteve said:

really, i'm surprised? plain old hydrochloric acid? it is either a gas in it's pure form or dissolved in water.

It would be used in the synthesis the PVC but I would imagine any excess would be washed away or dried off.

Remember my 30 -50 years old used to be " first release * coin set and coin packs 

never been touch but where are they now ... so they won't wash away 

Archived