• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

December DNW auction

Platinumskies

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

won't be going but will be drooling over most of the lots and probably bidding on some. Although the way it usually goes is I watch in utter amazement as the bidding goes orbital.

Haha I want to bid on a gothic crown 

I've got one I'm going to be bidding on and winning.  There are about four or five I'd like to pick up but after hemming and hawing over the last few days, I narrowed it to one and all my resources will be going to winning that coin.

BTW, DNW is hands down my favorite Auction House.  Love hearing that hammer and then "Wood" (at least that's what it sounds like he's saying).  The auctioneers are entertaining and it makes me want to go brew some Earl Grey tea...totally worth getting up a few hours early on the day of the auction to catch one.

I was looking at the current list this evening - nothing for me yet, although the early proof sets are very nice and it is great to have a look during viewing even though they are just a dream:lol:

There are some coins I am after to fill remaining slots at the European auctions this month and in December but they are way out of my price range - typical that they have appeared at the 'expensive' places:( (why are some of the Swiss and French auctions so expensive - I was hoping the coins would have appeared in the US, Italy or Germany!)

2 hours ago, Platinumskies said:

Haha I want to bid on a gothic crown 

a lovely one went in the last auction, quite reasonably too as they understated the grade imo

or it could have been the last Baldwin's auction............:blink:

BTW why have you tagged this thread with me?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

46 minutes ago, Jester said:

I've got one I'm going to be bidding on and winning.  There are about four or five I'd like to pick up but after hemming and hawing over the last few days, I narrowed it to one and all my resources will be going to winning that coin.

BTW, DNW is hands down my favorite Auction House.  Love hearing that hammer and then "Wood" (at least that's what it sounds like he's saying).  The auctioneers are entertaining and it makes me want to go brew some Earl Grey tea...totally worth getting up a few hours early on the day of the auction to catch one.

I could meet you there what coin you planing to get

The one before last had some lots going for very reasonable prices iirc. The last one had some crazy prices, often for something I'd put a prebid on it seemed. :)

I did just get outbid by a single bid after putting in bids in a few cases though which made me wish I'd been able to sit online throughout.  No doubt the other party would just have kept bidding anyway.

No idea. It's not a proof is it, so vastly over-estimated. Whether this is a mistake or they know something Spink doesn't........?

I know sometimes collectors will go way over Spink for an absolute top coin or extremely rare, but this is seemingly a common crown.

Perhaps because it's already slabbed and graded by NGC as MS64?  You're always going to pay noticeably more if the coin you're buying is already slabbed/graded (the cat's out of the bag at that point, right?).  Thus the thrill of buying a raw coin in great shape from a reputable source and then having it sent off for grading and watch the value of your initial investment jump substantially if it comes back from the TPG with top grade.  Just my $0.02 (I mean $0.75...I had them graded) ;)

1 hour ago, Numistacker said:

At the last auction the 1887 proofs all went for 2-3 x estimates

At the last auction the 1887 proofs all went for 2-3 x estimates

yes proofs I can understand

yes proofs I can understand

:P

48 minutes ago, Jester said:

Perhaps because it's already slabbed and graded by NGC as MS64?  You're always going to pay noticeably more if the coin you're buying is already slabbed/graded (the cat's out of the bag at that point, right?).  Thus the thrill of buying a raw coin in great shape from a reputable source and then having it sent off for grading and watch the value of your initial investment jump substantially if it comes back from the TPG with top grade.  Just my $0.02 (I mean $0.75...I had them graded) ;)

Ah I didn't see that, just noticed the "About as struck, attractive tone". MS64, not my idea for about as struck. Not bad, would qualify for UNC I guess. Still over the top imo.

Shall we have a sweep? Will it make it's estimate?

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Ah I didn't see that, just noticed the "About as struck, attractive tone". MS64, not my idea for about as struck. Not bad, would qualify for UNC I guess. Still over the top imo.

Shall we have a sweep? Will it make it's estimate?

I hope not...I hope this auction isn't like some of the recent from the most notable houses where crazy money is being recklessly thrown around gobbling up everything regardless of condition or value.

7 hours ago, Clens92 said:

Can anyone help me understand why this 1887 Crown is estimated at £1200-£1500 please?  Book value on UNC is only around £300, and NGC values it at a roughly comparable price point... why the massive estimate?

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/lot.php?auction_id=467&lot_id=116&search=1

I saw that too I was like wtf

Archived