• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1887 Sixpence -- Proof?

JohnA

As Shortstack68 says it isn't a proof and the obverse looks very hairlined from the picture. A proof would have mirrored fields and a very good strike which is usually evident in the lettering where the currency issue has slight rounded edges, I also find that the rims on the proofs are usually very sharp and you can almost cut yourself!

Does not look like a proof as you are missing the mirror finish. The excessive scratches could possibly be where the coin has been cleaned. I wouldn't say they have occurred through general circulation as the other details and raised accents on the coin are actually in great shape. I will confirm you say it's not a proof but a good example of an unc coin that some humpty seems to have cleaned, no doubt because they thought it might increase its value when in essence it has had the opposite effect. I will keep an eye on the thread as I imagine you will post the result of the grading. 

43 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

The grading will result in Surface Hairlines and since @SilverTanner confirmed it's not a proof that's enough for me.  I will ask for a refund

Did you buy it as a proof?  1887 coins are very strong strikes, and often do have proof-like qualities - albeit I suspect that this is a circulation strike.

32 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

yes but you're not a sixpence expert and therefore have no credibility in this area:D

That's nice to say, thankyou, but I just agreed with shortstack68 who is actually an expert in all denominations of British coinage from hammered to present day.

There are some real experts on sixpences out there - I don't think any of them contribute here though(?) - I still have much to learn even for a single denomination and it may take forever:unsure: but then that is the fun of it:D

9 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

@SilverTanner it takes a lifetime of learning, i’m no expert, I have learnt a lot along the journey of collecting and will continue to do so.

Soeaking of sixpence collectors, if you head over to predecimal forum and look for a member called Jaggy he’s your man for sixpences, I recently sold him those to Queen Anne ones I had and I know he is a connoisseur of this denomination, you can both maybe pick each others brains on the subject.

To focus on completing post 1816 I have been trying to give up early milled sixpences - William III varieties were more frustrating than die numbers:lol:

I have been following the pre-decimal forum but have never got around to joining. Over the years I assume I have been outbid at auctions by 'Jaggy' and 'Poldan' and a few other well known collectors like Alfred Bole and Paul Cattermole as the coins have then appeared in their sets/collections. Jaggy also has some great sixpence registry sets - definitely something to aspire to!

Archived