• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Damn Canadian Mint!

PolarPanda

I know everyone says not to buy anything from the Canadian Mint if you can't handle milk spot, but it starts to become a bit insane. I bought myself 20 different years 3/4 OZ Canadian Wolves coins and 10 Voyageur 2017 coins. From these 30 coins in total (and the Voyageur coins being just recently released) only 1 coin doesn't have any milk spot! I really ask myself how it's possible that you almost never see mint spots with the silver coins from (for example) the Lunar Series from the Australian Perth Mint and the Canadian Mint just doesn't seem to figure out how to prevent them... or they just don't care. 

I wanted to buy a 10 OZ Magnificent Maple Leaf, but i took that idea out of my head... It's really a shame because some coins from the Canadian Mint are really nice and have good potential, but the risk of (very serious) milk spot isn't worth it for my anymore... No more silver coins from The Canadian Mint for me... 

You are not alone in experiencing poor condition coins from the RCM featuring the dreaded silver pox.
This does appear however as an issue that the RCM cannot or will not resolve.
Not all their bullion coins however have this problem so it might just be down to bad luck.
Unfortunately the attitude of the RCM and its dealers is that you are purchasing bullion ( inferring just weight ) and not a work of art despite the marketing bumf that highlight the stunning designs blah ..blah.

I am not a lucky person, but out of the few hundred coins from the RCM I have not had a single one with a milk spot. None of my bars (dozens of 10oz and a few 100oz) from the RCM have milk spots either. I live in Canada, so it is possible that they ship the quality stuff local and don't put as much care into international shipments. It is also possible that the dealer that you got them from gave you the junk he couldn't get rid of (what is 30 milk spotted coins of potentially thousands they have sold). I have heard a lot of people complaining about milk spots and seen Youtube videos about them, but have never experienced them myself. Seems like luck of the draw for the most part.

...but also our milk comes in bags here, so it is possible they spill a lot while working at the mint and it splashes on the coins...

I have around 150toz of Canadian mint coins, around 25% have spotted. They are bullion coins, even so I will not be buying from Canada again unless they sort this issue out. I don't think they are bothering their backside, maybe reduced sales will make a difference. I don't know why they don't simply produce bars if they are only concerned with making bullion product!! I'm tS for s a same as they do produce some good designs.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Does anyone know when the Milkspots started to appear as I'm sure the early maples never suffered from the problem?

edit; just searched eBay and there's a 1991 slabbed maple with Milkspots, so I guess all my early ones I've been lucky with.

Archived