• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 perth mint dragon 2 oz silver coin error?

kevinhung

50 minutes ago, ShaolinStacker said:

Def looks like it! Send it to NGC and get it slabbed an error. Perth mint error coins go for big $$$$

Whether it will get classed as an error is another question. Also how desirable it will be. But someone somewhere will be prepared to pay a premium, slabbed or not. ?

We can see both the obverse and reverse of the coin are off centre. This makes it a striking error. The whole design pretty much is there and these by my understanding are called broadstrike errors.

The planchet was off centre when the coin was minted. I am not sure how others are defining mint errors, may be they restrict them to die errors only, whatever, this is a striking error at the mint and so it is a mint error.

From my understanding the blank (planchet) is centred by a collar as the planchet is being struck. During this process the planchet is flattened and expands to meet the collar encircling it. As well as confining the planchet the collar may have a pattern on it to give a milled edge. Further details are on this webpage.

https://www.australian-coins.com/error-coins/broadstrike-coin-errors/

Very likely this coin will fetch a higher price.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 minute ago, shortstack68 said:

It's a medal not a coin, it's desirability is measured by how many people would want a medal, personally offstrike aren't errors for me, just a quality problem

No it is a coin. It is a $2 coin and legal tender. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

32 minutes ago, airmac said:

Sorry for derailing here a little bit. So the old currencies from the européen countries who switched over to the euros. Are they now coins or medals now?

I would say they are still coins but not legal tender now. A lot of old circulating coins are no longer legal tender but are still referred to as coins.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

It's a medal not a coin, it's desirability is measured by how many people would want a medal, personally offstrike aren't errors for me, just a quality problem

Mints are making "error" coins just to gain attention and hype. Certainly here is another case, poor quality control, or is it marketing strategy?

Similar to privy pimping, extra 5,000 coins with this variation making the total mintage of the coin much higher. I can see the reason why they do it as the premiums on these errors are bigly.

Archived