• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin catalogues and guides?

Quacker1964

Possibly a daft question, but is there or are there books or catalogues showing current silver coins and previous issues suited for the beginner or inexperienced collector or is most research internet based?  I'd enjoy something like a buyers or collectors guide.  I could look online at the lines of Amazon but not sure what if anything would bit the bill.

Any websites, books, catalogues or places to expand my knowledge you can recommend.

Hi!  If you are collecting American coins, there are a couple good sources out there that I would recommend.  The Coin Dealer's Newsletter is the key wholesale pricing guide used by coin dealers for every US coin minted (www.greysheet.com).  Be advised this is a subscription that's renewed annually--but many of the data sheets are updated weekly; others are updated monthly and quarterly.  At that same website is a retail buyer's guide for US coin, and uses an algorithm that sets the retails pricing from the wholesale pricing data.  This one is free at https://www.greysheet.com/cdn-collector-price-guidance      Thanks from Scotty at CoinFinders

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I purchased a book from a member on this forum that might get you started -

The author is Sebastian Wieschowski and more info can be found at bullionblog.eu

I second that. I have a copy of the Bullion Book and it very helpful for beginners and long-time collectors as well. There is the history and a lot of information on basically every type of coin that is released yearly as well as photos of all the different varieties and the yearly design (for those that change yearly).

Archived