• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Scratch on the Queen's Beasts 1/4 Gold BU...

AlphaBeast

If you buy a coin from hgm and 3% above spot expect what you get, if you are paying 10-15% + expect a coin in mint condition.

ive never received a Perth mint coin damaged. If the royal mint are going to keep on churning more and more coins they have to sort out...... but in the 4 odd years the forum has been going this topic comes up so can't see it changing

its up to us as buyers, chards, atkinsons etc to keep sending coins back until they either change or reduce prices to bullion.

This is mostly 1/4 oz problem not 1oz

3 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

If you buy a coin from hgm and 3% above spot expect what you get, if you are paying 10-15% + expect a coin in mint condition.

ive never received a Perth mint coin damaged. If the royal mint are going to keep on churning more and more coins they have to sort out...... but in the 4 odd years the forum has been going this topic comes up so can't see it changing

its up to us as buyers, chards, atkinsons etc to keep sending coins back until they either change or reduce prices to bullion.

This is mostly 1/4 oz problem not 1oz

Guess I need to be the first to kick up a fuss then! To be honest, if the website is saying it's NEW then to be honest I expect it to be NEW, sorry if I am not used to the bullion world of marks, scratches or whatever but it is up to the RM (and possibly the main dealers) to make it a priority to stop stacking them in tubes especially gold bullion which are part of a series especially if I am paying over the spot. If I had brought it off eBay then maybe yes I would settle for it but from what the website and everyone here seems to know about Atkinsons I'd expect a better coinage.

At least be honest about the coin I will be receiving - put up actual images of the coins available and let the buyer decide which coin they want. I wouldn't have minded so much if the nick wasn't on HRH's neck but elsewhere. 

I am awaiting response from them so will see what they say.    

14 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

In the bullion world, marks and scratches are to be expected as they are minted in their millions without due care and attention that you'd expect from say a proof coin or semi numismatic coin

I understand that but still would be nice if they took close up pictures of each coin so you know what you're getting. doesn't take that long to take an image and upload them especially when you're charging a premium above a spot price. In an online world and in person, it's different and potentially you'd be able to barter and get a reduction in price due to any imperfection. Sane with if someone wanted a proof coin that had a mark, I doubt they would pay the average proof price for a NEW coin when the coin with the mark would obviously diminish the proof vaue i.e. no longer a proof? Unless I am mistaken? (P.s am new to all this lol)

They are still new and are stored in tubes, you should expect them to have slight marks on them because they are bullion. What do you expect Atkinson's to do? Take photos of all the thousands of coins they have and list them separately on there site, im sorry but all this fuss for a tiny scratch on a bullion coin is nonsense.

5 minutes ago, jssagu said:

I understand that but still would be nice if they took close up pictures of each coin so you know what you're getting. doesn't take that long to take an image and upload them especially when you're charging a premium above a spot price. In an online world and in person, it's different and potentially you'd be able to barter and get a reduction in price due to any imperfection.

That would ultimately increase their prices because of the extra labour involved.  Imagine how much time it would take for a company the size of Atkinsons to photograph every coin they have for sale - its just not viable.

15 minutes ago, blab said:

They are still new and are stored in tubes, you should expect them to have slight marks on them because they are bullion. What do you expect Atkinson's to do? Take photos of all the thousands of coins they have and list them separately on there site, im sorry but all this fuss for a tiny scratch on a bullion coin is nonsense.

10 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

That would ultimately increase their prices because of the extra labour involved.  Imagine how much time it would take for a company the size of Atkinsons to photograph every coin they have for sale - its just not viable.

I expect them to put on their website that these coins are new BUT MAY come with imperfections - not NEW. NEW is the only thing on their listing which is in capitalisation.

At least cover your own asses?

22 minutes ago, jssagu said:

I expect them to put on their website that these coins are new BUT MAY come with imperfections - not NEW. NEW is the only thing on their listing which is in capitalisation.

At least cover your own asses?

New doesn't have to mean perfect.  It just means its never been sold before.

Just now, jssagu said:

Playing Devil's advocate here but don't Royal Mint sell these to dealers and there it becomes 'second hand'? lol

No, otherwise the whole worldwide supply chain for everything would collapse and you would have to buy most of your goods directly from Chinese factories!!

This is in Atkinsons terms and conditions...

"We are happy to provide you with a refund or exchange in line with your rights as a consumer. However, if we feel the coins meet the standard as described then we will be unable to provide a refund for the cost of postage. If we do deem a product to be below standard we will happy provide you with an exchange or refund.

Due to the nature of the following products types we will not accept returns of, or provide refunds for; Bullion Coins, Bullion Coins Uncirculated, Proof Coins, Pre-Owned Coins or any coins with ‘milk spots’ unless the items are damaged to a point where they no longer contain the stated amount of precious metal."

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/terms-and-conditions

2 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

No, otherwise the whole worldwide supply chain for everything would collapse and you would have to buy most of your goods directly from Chinese factories!!

This is in Atkinsons terms and conditions...

"We are happy to provide you with a refund or exchange in line with your rights as a consumer. However, if we feel the coins meet the standard as described then we will be unable to provide a refund for the cost of postage. If we do deem a product to be below standard we will happy provide you with an exchange or refund.

Due to the nature of the following products types we will not accept returns of, or provide refunds for; Bullion Coins, Bullion Coins Uncirculated, Proof Coins, Pre-Owned Coins or any coins with ‘milk spots’ unless the items are damaged to a point where they no longer contain the stated amount of precious metal."

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/terms-and-conditions

Probably be heading that way one day anyway lol..

Yeah I just saw that, guess as I am new, I am still learning and maybe next time I place an order, I will say that I specifically want a near mint quality.

A learning process.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 22:51, NorthBen said:

It's a tricky thing buying coins without seeing them first. I have always bought mine face to face, but it looks like I'll be using either Atkinsons, Chard or HGM soon and buying second hand coins online. does worry me a bit, but it just can't be helped. 

Do these second hand/secondary market dealers have a cut off point where a coin is too battered to sell? Sorry if this is a thread hijack, should probably open a new discussion!

Hi, it depends on what you are buying.

For example, sovereigns - we sell bullion sovereigns which are kept in tubes - with the secondary market ones, you could get anything from Victorian Young Head to Elizabeth II, they will probably have bag marks, wear  etc but they are a great way to buy sovereigns at a low premium. If they are more worn we have a 'Grade B' sovereign which have said  'These gold sovereigns have been checked by our expert numismatists. They don't meet the grade for our standard secondary market bullion sovereigns but they are too good to send to scrap. If you are looking to buy gold at a low premium above spot, to melt down or to use in jewellery'. If a sovereign doesn't meet this level they are scrapped. This is similar for other coins too.

1 hour ago, ChardLizzie said:

Hi, it depends on what you are buying.

For example, sovereigns - we sell bullion sovereigns which are kept in tubes - with the secondary market ones, you could get anything from Victorian Young Head to Elizabeth II, they will probably have bag marks, wear  etc but they are a great way to buy sovereigns at a low premium. If they are more worn we have a 'Grade B' sovereign which have said  'These gold sovereigns have been checked by our expert numismatists. They don't meet the grade for our standard secondary market bullion sovereigns but they are too good to send to scrap. If you are looking to buy gold at a low premium above spot, to melt down or to use in jewellery'. If a sovereign doesn't meet this level they are scrapped. This is similar for other coins too.

Thanks Lizzie, that's really interesting and helpful. I'll be over your way soon with work, so I'll pop in and spend some money with you folks! Can I just nip in or do you have to make an appointment?

They are still new coins. Unfortunately there would be no possibility at all of these companies taking individual photos of coins. The amount of bullion that is graded is insane and let's say one of the dealers started taking individual photos, their costs would increase. This means that in turn the end product costing would increase for the end user, the likes of you and me. The production of bullion was never meant for the collector. It was made with the intention of someone collecting weight and a round/ coin shape or size is a convenient way of selling, buying and storing. Its personal preference really. As pointed out by the other users, if you were interested in the coin getting graded then it is worth having a coin in mint state. Then is may be able to be sold for a premium. However the weight of gold will always retain its value as is regardless of any nicks/marks. It can always be and might possibly be melted down by the buyer for their own purposes. Hope this helps a little.

I have been disappointed with certain dealers who have sold bullion coins at a premium and then sent knackered dinged and scratched coins. It's fair enough if selling the coin as bullion a few percent above spot but anything above that is selling at a premium and a premium coin should be supplied in my opinion. HGM are good for bullion, but they sell certain coins at a premium then send trashed coins in my experience. I have not bought from them recently though, they do now list individual heads on sovereigns for example and say they are good quality in the description so might be worth a go. 

I've had no such issues with the coins I bought from chards, I can recommend them. The premiums are low yet the coins and service have been of premium quality, can't fault them at all. Fingers crossed the unicorn I bought from them keeps up the track record :P

4 hours ago, NorthBen said:

Thanks Lizzie, that's really interesting and helpful. I'll be over your way soon with work, so I'll pop in and spend some money with you folks! Can I just nip in or do you have to make an appointment?

Hi, you can just pop in - if you're buying gold you will need to bring 2 forms of ID - it will be great to see you.

Archived