• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should you stack gold with your silver?

jmichael99

Seeing what peoples thoughts are on this...

Should you have 1oz gold to X amount of silver?

I started stacking silver about a month ago and I have about 30oz so far and I just ordered a 1/10th oz gold coin.  Im wondering if I should get an oz or 2 of gold before the year is out

I'm curious as to where we will stand with the VAT reduced silver after Brexit, will we still have access to margin scheme VAT reduction or will we be paying full 20% on everything, or as a sovereign nation again will VAT on silver be abolished.  I'm taking the view that I'm as well getting silver while we are still in the EU under the margin scheme and then switching to gold once we are out.

53 minutes ago, jmichael99 said:

Seeing what peoples thoughts are on this...

Should you have 1oz gold to X amount of silver?

I started stacking silver about a month ago and I have about 30oz so far and I just ordered a 1/10th oz gold coin.  Im wondering if I should get an oz or 2 of gold before the year is out

I used to stack at a ratio of 50 ounces of silver to 1 ounce of gold. However i'm not into silver as much now so ratio is out the window. Id just do what you enjoy if your try really hard making a perfect strategy you'll go mad because if your on track with silver then a nice coin comes out you'll want it and vice versa. 

My current stacking ratio is 1:20. Everyone's will vary greatly depending on budget and preference, but my goal is 1oz of gold and 20oz of silver a month - or 12oz gold and 240oz silver per year. This works for me as far as budget and storage and the particular pieces that I find interesting enough to stack and/or collect. A fellow stacker prefers to keep closer to the gold/silver ratio of 1:70 for his stack as well.

When I set out on my stacking adventure, all I purchased was silver (cheapest non vat country europe). now I purchase both. The ratio has gone out of the window along with stacking because there are so many beautiful coin's and hand poured items I want.

And the hardest part now is not letting my desire for a nice piece of hand poured overrule a few extra Oz for the stack.

It's hard to keep a ratio going anyway (currently) because it only takes an Au purchase and then you have to buy a lot of Ag to keep on your % target.

I think it's a good idea to have both, but that said I have a long term plan in place which is based around stacking the cheaper metal, and with silver so cheap compared to gold I have been stacking silver almost exclusively. I'll split between both when the GSR falls below 70, and mainly stack gold only when the GSR falls below about 50.  It's opportunity cost; if I stack gold now, I forego the opportunity to stack very cheap silver.

I don't think you should look at it as wanting your stack to be a certain ratio. My goal is wealth preservation and solid long term growth, and to do that you need to be flexible and accept that at times you will mainly hold one vs the other.

gold(sovereigns) are easier to sell if you need the

currency. silver needs long term commitment of

your money/currency. long term storage of silver

that have some numismatic value have the

additional risk of milk spots, tarnish etc. your

ratio should depend on how much you can

commit for how long and how much risk you are

willing to take on. you may need more work on

your exit strategy.

HH

All depends on whether you believe silver is cheap as the G.S. ratio is very high.

As for post Brexit - buying from GS.be, STG, CoinInvest, Aurinum and the rest you will have to pay 20% VAT plus a fee to the courier for processing the VAT paperwork on computer. We will no longer be in the EU so all imports will be treated as if coming from outside the EU as they are today. Fill your boots now if you can.

If you are worried about convertibility of your PMs back into cash for eg emergencies, then you are overexposed on your PM position and should just hold more cash. At least 3 months' worth of wages.

Physical PMs are a long term store of value.  Don't increase the risk of not meeting your short term obligations in order to buy more PMs. 

Financial wellbeing necessarily means getting away from living from paycheque to paycheque. Protecting yourself against a currency crisis is an important part of that, but protecting yourself against a hole in the roof is even more important.

So long as the N.I. border remains soft post Brexit, some of us should be able to sort out EU orders still.

I don't know what the situation will be, however, regards sending silver from NI to the mainland. Might there be some customs spot-checking as a kind of virtual border measure?

If there is a "soft border" agreed between ROI and NI but customs checks are initiated and enforced between NI and mainland UK I will be well pissed offed, This may be the fudged agreement that comes to pass however . This is probably the most overlooked and least discussed issue in regards to leaving the EU. 

I don't have the answer but neither does anyone else! I reckon the EU has to accept non duty imports by default to the UK. If they do win, win folks! 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I believe that it's wise to stack both gold and silver as they both have different advantages/disadvantages.

Not a fan of the type around silver/gold, although I understand it I think if you have a decent amount of silver it's wise to add some gold to diversify.

Another personal experience I've had is that as I've flipped both gold/silver I have always profited much more from gold than silver and it's been easier too.

Archived