• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Breaking the seal off a tube: would it reduce the selling price?

My last purchase from GS.be was a couple of tubes of Philarmoniker. This was the first time I bought a tube with an official seal. I had to break the seal because I wanted to check the content of tube. I'm not a collector and my exit strategy is to sell it back one day to a legit bullion dealer. Would the dealer still pay me near spot price as usual? My usual benchmark is Atkinson's 'sell to us' page:

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/help-advice/sell-to-us

I can't see there any reference to tubes/seals, just the buy back price for a single coin. 

Thanks 

If i were buying a tube of coins i would want to check the coins - i would open the tube. The dealer will check. The dealer will open the tube. That you already did this should not make a jot of difference. if a dealer tried to knock you down i would take your coins somewhere else. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

No reason it would hurt the price because they are in a tube and not truly viewable. Now I do think coins in a sealed roll (ie: Perth Mint) can sell better as a lot unopened in most cases. Just my opinion. 

Bullion in a sealed tube is still bullion and cheap bullion in nice capsules is still cheap bullion.
Sleep easy - value of your Phillies is not affected.

Agreed!  You always want to check your bullion purchase before you sock it away.  If you go to sell it (say) 5 years from now, that would not be the time to find out the seal was counterfeit and the coins are worthless.  Thanks from Scotty at CoinFinders.  www.coinfinders.com

1 hour ago, Shoba said:

Now I do think coins in a sealed roll (ie: Perth Mint) can sell better as a lot unopened in most cases. Just my opinion. 

That's right, no need to worry about breaking the seals on your cheaper bullion tubes (both you and your eventual buyer would be happier verifying first). But sealed rolls of Perth stuff, as shoba has said, can and should be worth more when you go to sell. This is because your buyer may be an investor looking for complete rolls he can break open and send for grading. Graders know a Perth roll will contain a very healthy average of MS70's which is where his reward comes. By all means sell your tubes of bullion back to a dealer, as you have said. But if you ever do invest in Perth rolls, go a different route, especially with certain ones from the Perth ranges.

In some ways i often feel the selling trends for certain Perth stuff on ebay are looked at from the wrong perspective. You'll see singles (just for examples sake) at $50 but sealed rolls then discounted to, say $900, because of bulk purchase. It has always been a common sales model - buy more from me and you get this discount. But i think due to the good percentage range of MS70's found in Perth rolls, i say make those future graders pay the premium for their unbroken rolls on the secondary market. List those Perth rolls at +10% over singles and don't let them go for any less. Certainly never auction them. Set your price. I have broken more rolls than i actually kept intact, but any intact ones will never be offered at a discount.

This is where some will say - 'the only reason it's good to keep the rolls complete, and be happy to sell for a discount, is because it's a good way round the dreaded milk spotting'. All i can say is i disagree with the milk doomsayers when it comes to the Perth capsuled bullion ranges. Hasn't been an issue for me. Their tubed stuff absolutely, though.

Archived