• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Libertad 2017 mintages?

Lindeman

11 hours ago, Oldun said:

So not one single member here thinks it odd that on the Mint's own website, it says that 361 1/10th bu coins were minted in July alone despite posts suggesting the mintage is 300 ? They even double down with a link to a graph.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Oldun said:

So not one single member here thinks it odd that on the Mint's own website, it says that 361 1/10th bu coins were minted in July alone despite posts suggesting the mintage is 300 ? They even double down with a link to a graph.

Yes, as hinted at in a previous post, I suspect the numbers given as mintages will prove to be interim only.

It will be interesting to see what the final mintage is. Either way, I got my annual 1/4 bu gold oz purchase and the 7 coin silver proof set (250 set mintage), so am not influenced one way or the other without spending too much or entering a speculative guessing game. The Mexican Mint has never released mintages in advance, other than sets as far as I am aware.

These figures have always differed from official mintages historically and it's difficult to know what the base for the figures is. My guess is that many more coins are minted than the official figures due to manufacture issues and rejects and I am sure other mints also do this.

Last year the mint did increase numbers of BU gold and this happened after the year end. There is no way of knowing what the final figures will be till Feb 18.

Sorry for jumping in and mentioning this about a different mint...

But for example you can find out the mintage for the Libertads from the Mexican mint in 2018. Why does it take the Royal Mint so long to release figures sometimes?

I I am glad I started this topic....I knew it's traditionally a rollercoaster , but I didn't think we would get to 3 pages of comments !!! 

The good news is that Banco de Mexico have succeeded again in eliciting a fervour in us Libertad collectors.  I am convinced they know perfectly well that a little mystery builds interest every year. They are a smart bunch I reckon.  I would also predict that the design change will also come out of the blue. Let's hope they don't have an open competition with art students sending in the new Libertad designs?

Taken from another tread in the "today's purchases"

And here's my response from that thread...

"So 404 for 1/10oz and 558 for 1/4 oz? So much for exact numbers...This is more like the Perth Mint with sales figures which are not exact like a proof coin..."7710986cd9c4d0c98f375202c2e033cd.jpg

Even if they double or triple the supposed 500 mintage, its still a very low mintage compared with most offerings out there.  That is, if you can get it at a decent price.  Apmex has already blown up their prices, JM Bullion is much better (last I checked anyway).  Pays to shop around.  I love Apmex, but if they sense a coin or series is hot, they definitely take advantage!

I bought the 1/10 oz BU thinking it might make the key, and given this info who knows... luckily my coin got graded 70 by NGC so I'll probably keep it, quite hard to find the 1/10 currently

11 hours ago, tbone said:

Even if they double or triple the supposed 500 mintage, its still a very low mintage compared with most offerings out there.  That is, if you can get it at a decent price.  Apmex has already blown up their prices, JM Bullion is much better (last I checked anyway).  Pays to shop around.  I love Apmex, but if they sense a coin or series is hot, they definitely take advantage!

Algorythm. 

On 8/16/2017 at 05:40, muenzdachs said:

The mintage is confirmed

1/20 - 1,000

1/10 - 300

1/4  - 500

1/2 - 700

1 - 900

How can these figures be correct ? I count 1040 of the 1 oz and 945 of the 1/2 oz up to July. The 1/4 oz has 535 in July alone.

On 8/19/2017 at 20:18, calabai said:

How can these figures be correct ? I count 1040 of the 1 oz and 945 of the 1/2 oz up to July. The 1/4 oz has 535 in July alone.

I contacted my VIP rep. at APMEX for her to verify the mintage of the 1 ounce 2017 gold libertad. She was told by her product manager at APMEX that they (APMEX) were in contact with the  Mexican mint and a rep from the mint confirmed 900 was the number for the one ounce. When I asked her why the other denominations they had for sale listed no mintage numbers she had no answer for me. When the mint finally releases final #"s of the 2017 if the the one once is more than 900 APMEX is going to have legal issues not to mention social media negative press. We shall see.

I contacted my VIP rep. at APMEX for her to verify the mintage of the 1 ounce 2017 gold libertad. She was told by her product manager at APMEX that they (APMEX) were in contact with the  Mexican mint and a rep from the mint confirmed 900 was the number for the one ounce. When I asked her why the other denominations they had for sale listed no mintage numbers she had no answer for me. When the mint finally releases final #"s of the 2017 if the the one once is more than 900 APMEX is going to have legal issues not to mention social media negative press. We shall see.

Just got this back from NGC, happy with the grade and it's a keeper! Hope the mintage doesn't go up too crazy by year end. Banco de Mexico sure loves giving us collectors some surprises

baed2e2029d0fded986fa9d79f75f01a.jpg

8 hours ago, Sal said:

Right, but if you add up the 2017 monthly figures from the Banco de Mexico web site, they are all already above those mintage figures as of the end of July.

Very low mintage on the 1/20, 1 and 1/2 OZ proofs. Wow... 

Whilst these mintages may seem low, historically, they are in fact fairly high. You need to add to each one of these numbers the 500 proof sets.

Even the low mintage 1/20 has 20% higher mintage available than 2015.

In 2016 There was a massive increase in mintage to 2100 of each coin. Even now plenty of these coins are available on the market for low prices. I suspect that they over-minted the 2016 proof Libertad and this year they feel they need to cut back a little.

Providing the price is good, I would recommend buying the five coin gold set this year.

Archived