• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

n00b in the UK

boon

Hi All,

I'm Dan and I'm based in the NW region of england. I started investing in silver this month :) so a total newbie- please forgive my ignorance!

I used to collect coins when I was young- nothing of any value, just old out of circulation sterling or foreign coins, which I stopped after going to high school. Coins were left well alone until a couple of years ago when I worked with a mate who collected 50p's, so i joined in just change checking, not trading / investing. That's about all the experience I have with coins! I have none with bullion.

I recently started thinking about silver or gold as an investment (not for growth, just a different kind of security) and once I realised that "bullion coins" existed, or "semi numis." as I've seen them referred to, I thought this would suit me as I can do it as a collecting type hobby / interest, with an underlying knowledge that I should be able to sell bullion coins close to "spot" quickly and without fuss, should I ever need to.

I've narrowed it down to 1oz silver coins due to value, popularity and consitency, and picked canadian maples as my starting point. I bought an empty tube and one 2017 maple off a UK dealer just to get me started, and I have since dipped my toe into the (i know- risky, and looking at trading prices on here I have overpaid) world of eBay, and I also have a small order for a few different 1oz coins on its way from another UK dealer. This is just a "bull month" to get me started, I could no way sustain buying several coins a week over a longer period of time!

To keep everything together I've bought an old half size (10 tube) monster box, and my current strategy is to get an empty tube to fill with eagles and britannias to go with the maples, and the odd other coin which interests me as I go along- for example I have an australian spider on the way. I plan to keep these ones "loose" in capsules.

I've read a few things on here and I already wish to thank its contributers- some good information and debates and trades going on, I hope the community continues to grow and I look forward to doing a few trades with folk on here soon! :)  Take care

@boon

Hello and welcome to the forum! Lots of good information here so you have come to the right place for sure!

If you want to get in on the current group order from Europe check this thread out:-

If you haven't already please check out my beginners guide videos as well ;)

And another great thread for new stackers:

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Hello and welcome

I think a lot of us start off thinking we're going to stack silver, then end up more on the gold and silver collecting side hehe

My advice would be don't buy too much atm, read a lot on here + watch a lot of youtube videos, wait till you get a full idea of why you want to be involved with precious metals and what route of stacking/collecting would most interest you + makes the most sense £££ wise 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Hi People, many thanks for the warm welcomes :)

@Kman sound advice there! i'm near my spending limit for the time being anyway, and reeling it in a little won't do any harm. I'mm be on more research than purchasing very soon, honest :)

@BackyardBullion

Hi Mate, do you do an order every month with this supplier? Looks very interesting! Nice to hear you welcome small volumes too. May even join in on this one for a few.

I'm reading through the other links too, some interesting food for thought. Thanks again folks B)

Hello and welcome to the forum ?.  Congrats on your first purchases.  1oz silver coins are a great starting point.  I'm sure your tubes will fill up in no time.

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to The Silver Forum!

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Thanks Chris :) and i appreciate the help via email prior to signing up, cheers :)

Budget now blown for first month- so it's research research research until i next get a small budget to play with ;)

Archived