• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1887 jubilee 11 coin set

Augustus1

hi

I did say I would upload some images of my inherited 1887 set, inherited form my grandfather via my dad, sorry for the poor pictures I am no photographer , I have imaged the jeweller who's box the set is in, so don't know if its a put together set or a set from new ?

hope its of some interest to forum members,

dean.m

5965171d5438d_IMG_20170711_191317(Medium).thumb.jpg.711d9a89250b03110b9561de81d7637e.jpg596517269201d_IMG_20170711_191338(Medium).thumb.jpg.1067eb43c1bb3deb1ccfeba103e46a4c.jpg59651733be6bf_IMG_20170711_191452(Medium).thumb.jpg.86b418fad655c785c6e88d49a52b52ef.jpg5965175ad9a49_IMG_20170711_191345(Medium).thumb.jpg.0fddb3f5763597c7e0c7dc82812b1dac.jpg596517633ca21_IMG_20170711_191348(Medium).thumb.jpg.7c1d9db013c013f51fca21fd366b7f3a.jpg5965176ec34e4_IMG_20170711_191456(Medium).thumb.jpg.c6d6cbe468135c23214eb7ec290b3800.jpg596517857f4ab_IMG_20170711_191459(Medium).thumb.jpg.8da0d8a330cc379fe5dfbdeea14061d8.jpg

thank you , well I would like to take credit for a wise purchase but I cant :)just asked my dad for a bit more info, apparently the set was bought between the 1 and 2 nd world wars , my granddad and his four brothers enlisted in the Yorkshire regiment, and apart from my granddad getting gassed in one battle ( not sure which )all  5 came back safe ! now that's a result considering the number of losses !( good job or I might not be here :lol:)

but dad says granddad had a stall in Dewsbury market and the set was bought from a farmer short on cash so the story goes( I thought they had been bought from the jewellers ! wrong) sands of time means we will never know how much was paid !

so just thought a bit of back ground might be interesting.

thanks pete, had seen that and a set for £6k too on e bay , thing is what do you do with them, ?? keep them for posterity, leave them to my kids who might sell them ( I have two so cant split the set really), keep them and use them for my old age / pension and sell them?

dean.m

1 hour ago, Augustus1 said:

thank you , well I would like to take credit for a wise purchase but I cant :)just asked my dad for a bit more info, apparently the set was bought between the 1 and 2 nd world wars , my granddad and his four brothers enlisted in the Yorkshire regiment, and apart from my granddad getting gassed in one battle ( not sure which )all  5 came back safe ! now that's a result considering the number of losses !( good job or I might not be here :lol:)

but dad says granddad had a stall in Dewsbury market and the set was bought from a farmer short on cash so the story goes( I thought they had been bought from the jewellers ! wrong) sands of time means we will never know how much was paid !

thanks pete, had seen that and a set for £6k too on e bay , thing is what do you do with them, ?? keep them for posterity, leave them to my kids who might sell them ( I have two so cant split the set really), keep them and use them for my old age / pension and sell them?

dean.m

That's a lovely set of coins you inherited.

If they were mine, I would hold on to them.

3 hours ago, Augustus1 said:

dean.m

maybe you should consider grade them?

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

It looks like it's a put together set by the jeweller. the original set was all proof and a top notch one is worth around £30k

Some of them do look proof but difficult to tell if they all are.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

It looks like it's a put together set by the jeweller. the original set was all proof and a top notch one is worth around £30k

Some of them do look proof but difficult to tell if they all are.

The £5 looks like a proof doesn't it? 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

12 minutes ago, Kman said:

The £5 looks like a proof doesn't it? 

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

It does a bit and so do most of the large silver pieces. I'm dubious about the other sovs though especially the £1

ask him his address and we go and have a look , I will bring in tools

you two bring fast car and mask :P

1 minute ago, shortstack68 said:

Don't be so bloody silly........These coins should be kept in their original state for best price. Not everything is modern, these are numismatic coins

i think most people always want ms 70 everything here :D HAHAHA doesn't matter how many years old

4 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Don't be so bloody silly........These coins should be kept in their original state for best price. Not everything is modern, these are numismatic coins

It's not an original set though, it's a put together set so maybe it would be more valuable broken up and graded (assuming they're likely to reach good grades) 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Not a lot here will buy numismatic, that's the difference plus they won't put up 6k plus

me and u are the same type of person just i always use negative way to say things and u are straight forward person

5 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

No point in deviating from A to Z, just straight to the sharp end, i'm not sure whether its a good or bad trait yet lol

you're still alive, so far so good;)

Just now, shortstack68 said:

Lol.........Just. @Kman, sets like this cannot be perceived as put together or not just by a few piccies, these need to be looked at properly, in hand, regardless how high a resolution a picture is. Stick with us son, we'll teach you something about numismatics yet 

Stick with us son, we'll teach you something about numismatics >>>>>>

base on this sentence you will have a hard time here , you wont be a popular person

best to put a banner at the bottom of your post, where is the cheapest place to buy silver

Lol.........Just. @Kman, sets like this cannot be perceived as put together or not just by a few piccies, these need to be looked at properly, in hand, regardless how high a resolution a picture is. Stick with us son, we'll teach you something about numismatics yet 

I said  "it's a put together set so maybe it would be more valuable broken up and graded (assuming they're likely to reach good grades)"

Where did I say you don't need anyone to look at them properly? :wacko: I suggested the opposite no 

Just now, shortstack68 said:

Germany :rolleyes:

GSBE ........... see you cant even answer the most important answer  right

i have 5 grand where to buy silver in bulk, u answer 5 grand cant get u a ms coin for that and that , they will ignore u right away

8 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Sorry, you've viewed this set already, or have you judged your opinion that it's put together by the pictures?

I rest my case :rolleyes:

Yes, but the pictures and by Steve's comments I think it's probably put together

Does that mean I think he shouldn't have it looked at by a professional? of course not :wacko: of course he should, just common sense

And a £7,20 saving on each coin lol

euro ...... and how about postage :D.. oh yeah how much it will gone up by  in the auction house for numi coins ^_^ everytime u raise your hands...... 7 pound fifty  per bid?

2 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

comments are comments, it's hearsay until you can see these things in hand, we're not talking modern coins, these are numismatic coins that need to be looked at carefully, it can be the difference between and extra 5 grand or not

Well when someone posts a picture saying "what do you think" it's ok to speculate..

It's all just shooting the sh1t, only real answer would be "go to a knowledgeable coin dealer" and close the thread, but that would be no fun. 

Well, the German coin will be €5,90 to me, so am still in the plus by at least €2 

raise your arms a few times see how much you can save in September :( 

2 euro cant even buy a Bratwurst in the train station :P do u mind ?

We can't be certain if it's put together or not but it's a good bet. There were less than 800 official sets made but I've seen dozens upon dozens of made up sets in various states and in various cases, mostly BU but some with proofs as well. This one is not in an original case but that doesn't prove anything, only strongly suggestive. Some of the coins look proof but we can't be sure from the pictures.

hey , from my own research I am too curious to see if its a made up set or issued one, (did say in op) thanks for the lead on a decent coin appraiser near me shortstack, will make a effort to get to him and get the set looked at, its nice to speculate :), as noted I am no were near any kind of knowledge on old coins so its good to be guided, and note some of your comments ( and banter :P) . either way, original set, put together, grading, still have dilemma of what to do with them afterwards ! all be it a nice dilemma.

oh if you do come to wakefield bring a stick of dynamite as well as fast cars as they are kept in a safe :lol:

dean.m

Archived