• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

A Guide to Using Candlesticks and Candlestick Formations

I use Candlesticks in my trading. Other traders use bars, lines, or just numbers. Candlesticks are more effective in longer time frames such as Daily/Weekly/Monthly, but I also use them right down to 4hr/1hr and 30 mins to get a general idea for fine tuning an entry/exit.  

What is a Candlestick?

If you look on my recent simple chart for Gold below, the red and blue vertical rectangles are called candlesticks. Blue is a bullish candle and red is a bearish candle. Various colours can be used, such as black/white/green/red etc, but the main thing is to be able to quickly glance at charts and recognise instantly what is going on with the price action in that particular time frame.

XAUUSDMonthly.thumb.png.3ba1c76af6c00bdf97dc576df7e1a261.png:

Each Candlestick tells a story and consists of an opening price, closing price, high and low for that time period, such as below. In this scenario, the white candle is bullish and the black is bearish.

candlestick.png.d7019d1823a7a325eb7aa9c940ec4327.png

Candlesticks can be used to determine potential trade setups due to the patterns they can make. These are Candlestick formations and show me the price action and areas of potential trend reversals, or confirmation of the trend. There are numerous formations, but by studying these patterns you will come to see them over and over again in your charts. They are not be any means definitive, some have a higher chance of success than others and what can look like a definite reversal can turn out to be completely wrong. These formations are a guide, but the market can change direction quickly and violently at any point rendering your 'perfect setup' invalid. This is just the nature of the beast and over time you will come to recognise 'painting the charts' and other tactics to entice traders into to wrong side of the market.

Brief description of many common candlestick formations:

candlereading.thumb.gif.33180c3045d9440a825b38e46bc8d862.gif

bullish.png.b5e8d91121cc56abdde59a69180c6d82.png

bearish.thumb.jpeg.957be2e397cc951214bbdc9242349add.jpeg

By looking at the charts, we begin to see how these formations signal possible price reversals in a down trend:

candlesticks-trendlines-downtrend.thumb.gif.0561b1d5d89dceec995a3425a95ef999.gif

...and in an uptrend:

uptrend.thumb.gif.8438972cde99f9093df023d7559140fa.gif

Patience is the name of the game and not rushing into the market, but instead allowing the market to present you the best opportunity for your entries and exits.

Edited by Guest