• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 UK Bicentenary Piedfort Sovereign

whitesands1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Clens92 said:

I've gone for one - the option to return is too generous not to take a chance on this. 

Good call........ I am sitting debating this like I did with the Full Proof and missed out!  The lower mintage is attractive, but we are always hearing that once you go over low £100's the premiums get hard to maintain.  If I remember correctly the Full Proof was £430 so it is less than double that.

1 minute ago, shawy2510 said:

£780 on Chards

With no stock and postage to take into account.  Also notice they have the Full Sovereign for £725 available. 

However, is it not odd that they would knock these out to CPM and Chards with only 3500 available or is that a standard practice?

Just now, Kman said:

Presentation: 3,500

Maximum coin mintage: 3,750

Are they going put together 250 set or 

Well they have another five months to try to squeeze every single bit of cash we have.....

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

What a way to spend a morning................between jobs, honest!

Found this information about piedforts on RM web site http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/piedforts

So it seems this is not quiet the minting first – a Piedfort edition of The Sovereign - it is declared to be, unless it was a double double, if you get me!

"At this time the exchange of valuable gifts between rulers and members of their entourage became an established courtly exercise. Within this context coins struck on thick blanks, together with other types of prestige pieces, were prepared on behalf of kings and noblemen primarily for the purposes of presentation and display. From Poland to the Spanish Netherlands, from Sweden to northern Italy, coins of this sort provided rulers with a convenient means of emphasising their wealth and power. There are, however, only a limited number of these unusually thick prestige pieces from England, most spectacularly the gold double-sovereigns of Henry VII which bore the same design as the sovereign."

Just now, shortstack68 said:

I think you might be taking that out of context as Henry VII ruled around 1485 lol, they will be talking modern coinage and not hammered coinage, so for the modern age, it will be the first Piedfort

Ha Ha, yes, of course, a minting first - good spot.  I wonder if it will be the last or if there are further permutations of the 2017 anniversary Sovereign that RM can come up with!

Ha Ha, yes, of course, a minting first - good spot.  I wonder if it will be the last or if there are further permutations of the 2017 anniversary Sovereign that RM can come up with!

Next on the RM's list:

Piedfort Double Sovereign [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Up to £995 on CPM already...

Can't find it on CPM's webpage anymore. Guess sold out by now but wow that really quick no matter how many they have in stock...

That's just insane price went up by £100 in one morning... but very very curious on how would these coins fare in grading and the quality as I don't expect there would be any stock left for exchange when RM starts dispatching them...

Archived