• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New 2017 Quintuple Sovereign

westminstrel

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

What grade will be assigned to this coin? It didn't get the (false) proof certificate as the SotD coin (which NGC classed as PF ultra cameo) and has only one frosted side. Yet it is likely struck to the same standard 

IMG_5898.thumb.JPG.b9113c82cc9d8ba3e7595a1616c209d6.JPG

(Double Quintuple Sovereign Box)

On 26/06/2017 at 21:59, Fivepoundfred said:

I will not be buying one of these, managed to get the proof version for a decent price NGC PF70

I would like to have a close up look at one of these to see what the quality and finish is like ?

I had two proofs from eBay in my fingers (returned both as unhappy with the quality despite PF70) and must say, they are impressive.

But having now the BU in hand I prefer the lighter frosting. When in full light it doesn't become white but light milky and allows you to appreciate the gold colour and the 3D structure. From memory I would think the relief is less pronounced as on the proof it is almost overwhelming. I would recommend to have a look at one.

I was hunting for the proof but since I hold the BU in hand I don't feel the need for the proof. 

edit: other than stated by others the obverse has also a light frosting, which makes an interesting contrast between the proofs and (standard) BU or bullion portrait. Again I prefer this version opposed to the others. 

FYI just got the coin back from PCGS, it's graded as PR70 DC (under PCGS 617455 for first strike), probably the only 5 Sov Piece in the PCGS population now. I wrote a detailed explanation on the fact that Royal Mint regard this as BU but PSGS decided to call it Proof. You can see the Trueview image for my coin here:

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/valueview.aspx?s=617455

I have the proof version as well and I also think the BU looked better on reverse

47 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

The trueview photography is lovely.

The trueview image of the £5 coin is ,indeed, really lovely.  It gives you a real feel for the coin and the nuisances of grading.

Probably for a separate thread - but I had a look at the images of some other "70's" and it threw up some coins with marks that were perhaps less obvious to the naked eye/ *5 magnification. 

On 8/4/2017 at 12:44, augur said:

What grade will be assigned to this coin? It didn't get the (false) proof certificate as the SotD coin (which NGC classed as PF ultra cameo) and has only one frosted side. Yet it is likely struck to the same standard 

Where did you find this box?  I think it's a nice looking 2 coin display.  

It's the Royal Mint "The Queen's Golden and Diamond Jubilees UZ £5 Coin Set". 34/60 so the box is rarer than the coins...

I am planning to put the Quincentennial Quintuple Sovereign (1989) next to the Bicentennial Quintuple Sovereign.

7 minutes ago, augur said:

It's the Royal Mint "The Queen's Golden and Diamond Jubilees UZ £5 Coin Set". 34/60 so the box is rarer than the coins...

I am planning to put the Quincentennial Quintuple Sovereign (1989) next to the Bicentennial Quintuple Sovereign.

Thank you!  That will be an awesome set, and perfect use for such a display. 

Absolutely crazy considering the COA says BU, really no idea what these 2 are thinking in calling these and the strike on the day as proof, they also have PL designations (prooflike)

I think it's a slight shift from the pure technical definition to a more practical one. On close glances the surface is not different from a proof coin we are used to seeing. For those modern coins graded as PL, for example the Mexican silver libertads and 2009 ultra high relief American liberty and 2015 high relief American liberty, they still have hints of a MS surface but if you put you finger above you can see the reflection clearly, hence graded as PL. NGC is also more comfortable with PL grade.

Giving SP designation is also tricky, on modern coins they are mostly reserved for burnished strikes or special finishes. Royal mint hadn't made any special treatment on these sovereigns.

The trueview image of the £5 coin is ,indeed, really lovely.  It gives you a real feel for the coin and the nuisances of grading.
Probably for a separate thread - but I had a look at the images of some other "70's" and it threw up some coins with marks that were perhaps less obvious to the naked eye/ *5 magnification. 

Thanks Trueview is usually a hit or miss on the proof coins. Just too shiny and easy to throw the cameras off.

I saw someone actually had Trueview with holders, how is that possible? Here in US I don't really see that option, all coins have to be taken out of holder for photography?

15 hours ago, *tada* said:

I think it's a slight shift from the pure technical definition to a more practical one. On close glances the surface is not different from a proof coin we are used to seeing.

I am not sure if this is a shift, I believe PCGS always graded coins by their appearance, not by their description. With that in mind, the coin resembles more a proof coin than a circulation (single strike) coin with polished/frosted dies and multiple strikes. 

But am I reading this correctly, the Quintuple BU Sovereign got the same description as the proof Quintuple Sovereign from PCGS? There is no distinction?

Hmm, might have to get this 5 sov, but where from? did 2000 literally sell or do a bunch of dealer just sit with stock?

I don't see why the mint doesn't let the public buy for 1month before giving them to dealers or something, because as it stands all coins sell out and dealers just reserve them

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

10 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Hmm, might have to get this 5 sov, but where from? did 2000 literally sell or do a bunch of dealer just sit with stock?

They made only 1.000 and goldsilver.be is still taking orders for around £1.840

1 hour ago, augur said:

They made only 1.000 and goldsilver.be is still taking orders for around £1.840

The trigger has been pulled.  B)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

I am not sure if this is a shift, I believe PCGS always graded coins by their appearance, not by their description. With that in mind, the coin resembles more a proof coin than a circulation (single strike) coin with polished/frosted dies and multiple strikes. 

But am I reading this correctly, the Quintuple BU Sovereign got the same description as the proof Quintuple Sovereign from PCGS? There is no distinction?

Yes no distinction. They are certainly different in appearance. It's up to buyers and sellers to understand that difference now.

Maybe they should create a special label called "The BU that was promised" [emoji3]

On 07/08/2017 at 07:15, augur said:

PCGS graded one of my MS five sovereigns as proof, even though i had entered MS on the submission form. When i asked them about this they said that as far as they were concerned my coin was a proof so that is how they graded it ! I asked my RM account manager to ask the technical / production department about this and i had an email from the product compliance manager basically saying that some MS coins are now been made to a very high quality and once a coin has been marketed as an MS and the package and certificates have been produced they will not change the designation of the coin, which i can understand.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Paul said:

there are some available from Royal Mint, hopefully not defective custom returns.

Maybe they're ones held back to swap out for returns, but wouldn't be surprised if it's defective ones <_<

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

On ‎04‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 18:44, augur said:

What edition is the frosted one on the right??? Looks fabulous!

34 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

What edition is the frosted one on the right??? Looks fabulous!

Not different coins, just the different play you can get of this coin. The left is "reflecting" a dark surface, the right a bright surface. 

Archived